Skip to main content

First Line Friday: The Land Beneath Us

Happy Friday Everyone :)

I hope you're all had a great week, and that you're all looking forward to the weekend.

I'm excited to be taking part in another First Line Friday post today, which is hosted by Hoarding Books.

I'm especially excited to showcase the title I picked for this week, as I'm definitely loving this particular title that I'm reading right now.

The Land Beneath Us by Sarah Sundin:



Publisher: Revell

Publication Date: February 4th, 2020


About The Book:


In 1943, Private Clay Paxton trains hard with the U.S. Army Rangers at Camp Forrest, Tennessee, determined to do his best in the upcoming Allied invasion of France. With his future stolen by his brothers' betrayal, Clay has only one thing to live for—fulfilling the recurring dream of his death.

Leah Jones works as a librarian at Camp Forrest, longing to rise above her orphanage upbringing and belong to the community, even as she uses her spare time to search for her real family—the baby sisters she was separated from so long ago.

After Clay saves Leah's life from a brutal attack, he saves her virtue with a marriage of convenience. When he ships out to train in England for D-Day, their letters bind them together over the distance. But can a love strong enough to overcome death grow between them before Clay's recurring dream comes true?


(synopsis from goodreads)


My Thoughts:

This is actually my first experience with a Sarah Sundin novel. She's been on my list of authors to try forever, and I'm really glad that I finally got the opportunity to pick up one of her titles. I'm personally really enjoying this heartwrenching story that's set during World War Two, and Clay and Leah's story definitely has been pulling at my heartstrings. I'm really looking forward to finishing this one, and reading more of Sarah's books. While I can't say too much about it yet, as I'm not that far into it, I'm already loving it, and I'm predicting it's going to be a five star read for me.

First Line:

"Most men woke in a cold sweat when they dreamed of their own deaths, but not Private Clay Paxton."


What novel are you currently reading? Leave the first line in the comments, and then hop on over to Hoarding Books to see who else is participating this week. 

Thanks so much for stopping by guys! Have a great weekend, and Happy Reading. :)


Comments

  1. Happy Friday!
    Today on my blog I am sharing the first line from The Blue Cloak by Shannon McNear: https://christianfictiongirl.blog/2020/02/07/first-line-friday-122/. I haven't started the book yet, so I will share a line from the novel I am reading with my Freshmen Honors class, Elsewhere.
    "The end came quickly, and there wasn't any pain."
    Hope you have an excellent weekend! 🙂❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Blue Cloak sounds amazing!! I'm really interested in reading this one. Thanks so much for sharing :)

      Delete
  2. Happy Friday! My first line is from "The Fifth Avenue Story Society" by Rachel Hauck:

    "Well this was a fine mess."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved The Fifth Avenue Story Society! I think it's Rachel Hauck's best book to date. :)

      Delete
  3. My first line is from The Blizzard Bride by Susanne Dietze
    “ Forgive my cryptic invitation to lunch, Miss Bracey, but I dared not go into detail on the chance your post was intercepted.”
    Happy reading this weekend!

    Loved all the Sarah Sundin books! That one was exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first time reading a Sarah Sundin book, but I'm absolutely loving it! I haven't heard of the Blizzard Bride, but that's a fantastic first line, and I definitely need to go look it up on goodreads now. :)

      Delete
  4. I loved this one, and the rest of the series! ❤️ Right now I’m reading The Solid Grounds Coffee Company by Carla Laureano; here’s the first line: “By all accounts, Suesca was haunted.”

    Have a great weekend! 😊📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read The Solid Grounds Coffee Company! I loved the first two books in the series, and that's an amazing first line. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

      Delete
  5. This week on my blog I shared the first line from More Than We Remember by Christina Suzann Nelson but I'm currently reading The Fifth Avenue Story Society by Rachel Hauck so I'll share the first line from chapter 9: "The only thing worse than donning a rented tux on a Friday night so he could rub elbows with Manhattan's rich and infamous, was inviting a last-minute date." Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved The Fifth Avenue Story Society! I think it's Rachel Hauck's best book to date. Thanks so much for sharing :)

      Delete
  6. Happy Saturday! Today I'm sharing the first lines from When I Close My Eyes by Elizabeth Musser: "The lady come out of the bookstore -- it was all decorated for Halloween, all sizes and colors of pumpkins making faces at me from where I watched across Haywood Street in downtown Asheville."

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2020/02/first-line-fridays-when-i-close-my-eyes.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never actually heard of this one, but that's an amazing first line! Thanks so much for sharing :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Courting Mr. Emerson

Happy Friday Everyone :) Since it is Friday, I'll once again be participating in First Line Friday which is hosted by Hoarding Books .  For this week, I'm going to be sharing the first line from Melody Carlson's newest book, Courting Mr. Emerson. About The Book: When the fun-loving and spontaneous artist Willow West meets buttoned-up, retired English teacher George Emerson, it's not exactly love at first sight. Though she does find the obsessive-compulsive man intriguing. Making it her mission to get him to loosen up and embrace life, she embarks on what seems like a lost cause--and finds herself falling for him in the process. A confirmed bachelor, George vacillates between irritation and attraction whenever Willow is around--which to him seems like all too often. He's not interested in expanding his horizons or making new friends; it just hurts too much when you lose them. But as the summer progresses, George feels his defenses crumbling. The quest

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin