Skip to main content

Hiding Lies by Julie Cross

Hey Guys 


Happy Good Friday :)


In 2016 I had the pleasure of getting to advance read Julie Cross' Chasing Truth, and I ended up enjoying it immensely. I was really excited for the opportunity to advance read the second book in the series, Hiding Lies, this month, and today I can't wait to share with you all what I thought about it. 





Hiding Lies by Julie Cross:



Source: Publisher (Entangled Teen) Via Netgalley

Publisher: Entangled Teen

Publication Date: April 17th, 2018

Genre: Young Adult/Suspense

Synopsis:

Fans of Veronica Mars or Ally Carter will love the snarky, whip-smart former con artist Eleanor, in this sequel to Chasing Truth.

At Holden Prep, dirty little secrets always have a way of coming to the surface.

Eleanor Ames has never been what she seems. Average high school student on the outside, but reformed con artist trying to break free of her past on the inside. When Eleanor receives startling news about someone from her previous criminal life, plans for a new operation coinciding with her school’s upcoming field trip quickly consume her.

But operations rarely go according to plan. And this is one her irresistible teen FBI agent boyfriend, Miles, would never approve of.

Now, more than just Ellie’s reputation is at stake. If she fails, it could be her life.


*****synopsis from goodreads*****

My Review:

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Eleanor Ames is back with another explosive adventure in Hiding Lies, and readers will be quickly drawn into the complex world that our heroine once again finds herself wrapped up in. Surprises, truths, and shocking revelations will all come to light as Eleanor comes to terms with just how far she's willing to go to save the ones she loves.

Back in book one, Eleanor had collaborated with the FBI to try and put her con artist father in prison. Unbeknownst to her at the time, her parent's decided to switch places for the current con, and Eleanor was left watching her mother get dragged off to prison, and living with the notion that it was her who put her there. However, in Hiding Lies, she has a chance to redeem herself. It was her father the FBI truly wanted in the first place, and after she learns about the harsh terms of her mother's upcoming sentencing, Eleanor's ready to make a deal. She'll go undercover as their informant in her dad's newest con, if it means getting her mother clear and free in the process.

When a blast from her past shows up in the form of her "cousin" Oscar, Eleanor finds her opening, but she may be vastly unprepared for the job ahead of her, as this con is unlike any her family's ever pulled off before, and it's got Oscar shaking in his boots. With the FBI on her side, Eleanor embarks on Holden Academy's academic trip to New York, which serves as the perfect ruse to get her to the city. Soon she's right back in the family business, helping her father con innocent people, although she definitely didn't plan on having Dominic working along side her, or Miles finding out what she's planning to pull off.

Told in Julie's signature writing style, with twists and turns around every corner, Hiding Lies is a great follow up to the first book, and kept me engaged in the story right from page one. I enjoyed getting the extra glimpses into Eleanor's past, and the way her and Miles struggle to trust one another having been brought up the way they were. I've come to expect to be blown away by the ending of every Julie Cross novel, and I was most definitely not disappointed with this one. I thought I had a pretty good idea how everything was going to go down, but I was mind blown with the last plot twist, and just how well it all came together. One of my favorite parts of picking up any of her novels is the romance element, and readers will definitely not be disappointed on this front. No one can write a book boyfriend as well as this amazing lady can, and while Miles and Eleanor's relationship isn't as much of a focus in Hiding Lies as it was in the first one, I loved all the moments we did get between the two of them, and it only served to make an amazing book even better. 

Hiding Lies was exactly what I was hoping for and more, and I undoubtedly recommend this one to anyone who's a fan of Veronica Mars, Nancy Drew, or suspense/thriller type mysteries. I'll be looking forward to the next book in the series releasing, to find out if Eleanor's story can ever truly be wrapped up! I rated this one four out of five stars, and I only wish they were a little bit cleaner, as I wasn't a huge fan of how much language was contained in it throughout. All in all though it was a great story that I found myself truly drawn into, and I most definitely recommend!


Thanks so much to Entangled Teen and NetGalley for providing me with an arc copy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: The Solid Grounds Coffee Company

Happy Friday Everyone :) Do you have any fun plans this weekend? I'm hoping to spend some more time working in my garden, and also hopefully be able to spend some time reading outside. The last few days we've been having some pretty crazy weather with insane amounts of rain and high winds, but it's supposed to be nice this weekend hopefully. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with Hoarding Books for another edition of First Line Friday. First Line Friday is a weekly blog meme that simply consists of sharing the first line from the book you're currently reading. The Solid Grounds Coffee Company by Carla Laureano: About the Book: Analyn Sanchez can handle the long hours and arrogant clients that come with her job as a crisis management associate at Denver's largest publicity firm. The high-powered job, expensive condo, and designer wardrobe are all part of her plan to prove to her family that her life choices haven't been in vain. Bu