Skip to main content

Now and Then and Always by Melissa Tagg Review

Hello Everyone :)


It's finally Friday, and I can't wait to enjoy the beautiful weekend. 


I can't believe that Halloween is just around the corner, and I'm hoping that we'll get to our pumpkin carving this weekend.


I'm not personally a huge fan of Halloween, but I do enjoy certain elements of it like pumpkin carving, and taking my nephews trick or treating.


Do you guys have any fun Halloween plans?


For today's post, I'm excited to share my review of Melissa Tagg's newest release with you all. Her books have consistently been some of my favorites in the past, and you'll have to keep reading to see if I ended up feeling the same about her new one.


Now and Then and Always by Melissa Tagg:



Source: Library

Publisher: Larkspur Press

Publication Date: May 20th, 2019

Genre: Christian Fiction/Women's Fiction

Series: Maple Valley


Synopsis:

"It was just a house. Just a weathered old house in a hidden grove, shuttered and still . . . " Last year, after traumatic circumstances forced her from her job as a nanny, Mara Bristol finally found a place to belong-the winsome Everwood Bed & Breakfast at the edge of Maple Valley, Iowa. For months, she's helped its owner, Lenora, maintain the ramshackle property despite their shortage of guests. But when Lenora fails to return from a month-long trip and the bank threatens foreclosure, Mara worries she's once again alone . . . abandoned . . . about to lose the only true home she's ever known.Detective Marshall Hawkins is no closer to whole today than he was two years ago . . . the day his daughter died. Between his divorce, debilitating migraines, and a dependence on medication, his life is falling apart. And when a reckless decision on the job propels him into administrative leave, he has no other plan but to get in his truck and drive. A one-night stay at the Everwood was supposed to be just that. But there's something about the old house-or maybe its intriguing caretaker-that pulls him in.Together, Mara and Marshall set out to save the Everwood. But its secrets run deeper than they could've imagined. As they renovate the house and search for its missing owner, they'll each confront the pain that brought them to the Everwood in the first place . . . and just maybe discover a faith and love to help them carry on.

(synopsis from goodreads)



My Review:

I couldn't wait to dive into this one. I love getting to return again and again to Maple Valley, and I literally squealed when I found out that Melissa Tagg was writing a new series about this quirky, idyllic small town. However, I started feeling a little worried when I couldn't get into the story during the first couple of chapters. I wanted so badly to love it and I was slightly scared that it was going to end up disappointing me. I needn't have worried though, because soon I was completely enraptured with the story unfolding, and can once again appreciate just how amazingly talented of an author Melissa truly is.

One thing that always stands out to me about her books is that she's never shies away from writing about real issues. While each story she writes includes a beautiful romance, that romance is only ever part of the story. She writes characters that are raw, emotional, and realistic, and makes sure the reader is good and invested in each character's journey to find their way back from grief and heartache. While I really felt for Mara and the reasons that brought her to Maple Valley in the first place, it was Marshall's story that really had my heart breaking. The poor man had been through more than anyone should truly ever have to handle, and it's no wonder that the story starts out with him as broken as he was.

Another reason that makes Melissa Tagg's novels stand out is the fact that the faith element is always at the front and center. Any character included in her stories is going to find their way back to God and faith, and going to learn the lesson that all things are truly possible through Him. With many Christian fiction titles nowadays including less and less true spiritual content, I love that Melissa Tagg continues to make this the main basis of her beautiful stories.

I wasn't expecting a mystery setting when I first picked this up, but I loved how effortlessly its blended in with the rest of the story. While the main emphasis is definitely more on the romance and the characters journey to overcome their past hurts, the mystery added another level to this already amazing story, and I really enjoyed it.

Now and Then and Always was everything I could have possibly wanted, and fulfilled every single one of my expectations. I'm thrilled that this is only the beginning of her new series, and I already can't wait to read  Sam, Jen and Lucas' stories. 

One last thing I have to comment on is just how much I love the beautiful cover of this book. Right from when the author shared its reveal on social media I've been mesmerized by it, but after reading the story and hearing the reasons behind the door color chosen for the bed and breakfast, I love it even more.

If you're a lover of sweet romance, idyllic small town settings, character driven stories, mysteries, and cozy bed and breakfasts, then you definitely need to do yourself a favor and pick this one up.

Final Rating: 5/5

I can't possibly recommend this one enough.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: Courting Mr. Emerson

Happy Friday Everyone :) Since it is Friday, I'll once again be participating in First Line Friday which is hosted by Hoarding Books .  For this week, I'm going to be sharing the first line from Melody Carlson's newest book, Courting Mr. Emerson. About The Book: When the fun-loving and spontaneous artist Willow West meets buttoned-up, retired English teacher George Emerson, it's not exactly love at first sight. Though she does find the obsessive-compulsive man intriguing. Making it her mission to get him to loosen up and embrace life, she embarks on what seems like a lost cause--and finds herself falling for him in the process. A confirmed bachelor, George vacillates between irritation and attraction whenever Willow is around--which to him seems like all too often. He's not interested in expanding his horizons or making new friends; it just hurts too much when you lose them. But as the summer progresses, George feels his defenses crumbling. The quest