Skip to main content

First Line Friday: The Inheritance

Happy Friday Everyone :)

I hope you're all had a great week and that you're staying safe no matter where you are.

I haven't been leaving my house much lately other than for work, and because of this, I've had lots of reading time on my hands.

Last year my hubby and I took a road trip that included a visit to our favorite bookstore, and we decided to each pick a book that wouldn't be our first choice. The purpose was to try and read something that still interested us, but would maybe be a bit different than what we would typically go for first. My pick ended up being The Inheritance by Michael Phillips, a book I actually ended up being quite excited about, despite never having heard of it prior.

Unfortunately, it ended up sitting on my bookshelf ever since, and I'm so thankful I finally got the opportunity to pick it up and start reading it this past week.

The Inheritance by Michael Phillips:





About the Book:



The death of the clan patriarch has thrown the tiny Shetland Islands community of Whale's Reef into turmoil. Everyone assumed MacGregor Tulloch's heir to be his grand-nephew David, a local favorite, but when it is discovered that MacGregor left no will, David's grasping cousin Hardy submits his own claim to the inheritance, an estate that controls most of the island's land. And while Hardy doesn't enjoy much popular support, he has the backing of a shadowy group of North Sea oil investors. The courts have frozen the estate's assets while the competing claims are investigated, leaving many of the residents in financial limbo. The future of the island--and its traditional way of life--hangs in the balance.

Loni Ford is enjoying her rising career in a large investment firm in Washington, DC. Yet in spite of her outward success, she is privately plagued by questions of identity. Orphaned as a young child, she was raised by her paternal grandparents, and while she loves them dearly, she feels completely detached from her roots. That is until a mysterious letter arrives from a Scottish solicitor. . . .

Past and present collide in master storyteller Phillips's dramatic new saga of loss and discovery, of grasping and grace, and of the dreams of men and women everywhere.
 




My Thoughts:

I'm not too far into this one so far, but I'm not sure how I'm going to end up feeling about it. It's interesting reading about all the family history connected to the island and such, but I'm finding the plot to be a little slow moving, and it's taking me awhile to get into it.  I'm really enjoying the descriptive narrative though, and so far I'm really enjoying the characterization as well. Hopefully I'll end up really liking it once I get more into it. 

First Line:

"On a late afternoon of a surprisingly warm day, a small lad sat on a large stone with the blue of sky and water spreading out before him."

I seriously love this line and think it's the perfect opening to the series.


What book are you currently reading? Be sure and share the first line in the comments, and then hop on over to Hoarding Books to see who else is participating this week.

Thanks so much for stopping by guys, and I hope you all have a great weekend :)

Comments

  1. That sounds so relaxing and refreshing! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!

      Have a great rest of your weekend :)

      Delete
  2. Happy Friday! I hope you and your family are all doing OK in this crazy time. God's got us all!
    Today on my blog, I'm sharing from The Gift of Forgiveness by Katherine Schwarzenegger Pratt: https://christianfictiongirl.blog/2020/03/20/first-line-friday-128/. I'm currently reading Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter. It is SO good. I'll share a line from there.
    "Levi was a genius."
    I hope you have an excellent weekend. Happy reading! 🙂❤️đź“–

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday!

      I hope you and your family are doing OK as well :)

      I have Carolina Breeze from NetGalley right now, and I can't wait to read it! I'm glad to hear you're really enjoying it.

      Have a great rest of your weekend.

      Delete
  3. Happy Friday! My first line is from "The Jerusalem Assassin" by Joel C. Rosenberg:

    "They were coming, and he knew they were coming, and he knew why - they were coming to kill him and to kill the president and to kill anyone else who got in their way. They were coming to settle scores."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday!

      That's a very intriguing first line! I hope you end up enjoying the rest of your book, and thanks so much for sharing.

      Have a great rest of your weekend :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Friday! Today I'm sharing the first line from The Runaway Bride by Jody Hedlund: "Today she might meet the man she'd marry."

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2020/03/first-line-fridays-runaway-bride-by.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday!

      I keep hearing great things about The Runaway Bride, and I hope you're enjoying it.

      Have a great rest of your weekend :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Friday! I'm self-isolating except for work as well.

    I'm sharing from my current read, Finding Peace in Wishing Bridge by Ruth Logan Herne. Here is the first line of chapter four:

    "Three new fairy houses found their way to Fairy Trail Lane the following week."

    Hope you stay healthy and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday!

      I'll be praying that you're staying safe and healthy while at work as well.

      I love this first line! It has me really wanting to read this book now.

      Have a great rest of your weekend, and happy reading :)

      Delete
  6. This week on my blog I shared the first line from One Little Lie by Colleen Coble but I'm just about to dig into Silent Shadows by Natalie Walters so I'll share that first line here: "Pecca Gallegos never thought she'd be turning down a marriage proposal--much less four of them." Hope you are doing well and can enjoy some quality reading time during all this social distancing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Monday!

      Hopefully you had a great weekend, and stayed safe and healthy :)

      One Little Lie and Silent Shadows are both amazing books, and I hope you ended up loving them!

      Thanks so much for sharing, and I hope your week is off to a great start :)

      Delete
    2. I’m featuring Runaway Bride by Jody Hedlund
      Vancouver Island. September 18, 1862
      Today she might meet the man she’d marry.

      I really enjoy Michael Phillips!

      Delete
    3. Happy Monday!

      I've been hearing so much about The Runaway Bride lately, and I definitely think I'm going to have to read it soon.

      This is my first experience with a Michael Phillips novel, but I'm hoping I end up really enjoying it.

      Have a great rest of your week :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a