Skip to main content

My Least Favorite Books I Read in 2021

 Happy January Friends :)

I pray you all had a great New Year's, and that 2022 is off to a great start for you all.

I want to thank you all for joining me today on the Preppy Book Princess, and today I'm excited to share with you all the first of my 2021 reading wrap ups.

Since I changed so many of my reading habits, I really don't have as many books in a year that I didn't end up enjoying as I used to.

However, I always end up having at least few each year that weren't what I expected, and so today I'm here to share with you all my My Least Favorite Books I Read in 2021!

Now I just want to disclaimer this post by saying that I'm not meaning to truly hate on any of these books. They just weren't for me, and usually this is because they included content that I felt was either unnecessary, or made me uncomfortable.

I will give a brief description of why I didn't enjoy each book, but I don't want to go into too much detail as I don't want this post to be ridiculously long. 

If I reviewed that particular title, I will include a link to the review underneath.

Now with all of that being said, let's jump right into sharing with you all which were my least favorite books of 2021!

Love and Olives by Jenna Evans Welch:



I was honestly really excited for this one. I'd loved both of the first titles in this series, and couldn't wait to dive into this one. I ended up being really thankful I checked this one out from the libary libby app instead of buying it, as it was definitely not what I was expecting it to be. The content was not what I was comfortable with, the story felt disjointed and out of sorts, the "mystery" was really not all that entertaining, and I thought the romance was kind of weird and failed to hold my attention.

I gave this one a rating of 2 out of 5 stars, and definitely do not plan on rereading it.

All Fudged Up by Nancy Coco:



I stumbled upon this one when my fascination emerged of Mackinac Island, and I was trying to find books that were set there. Since I normally love cozy mysteries, I figured why not give it a go. However, this one was a lot edgier than I like my cozy mysteries, and I didn't like the way that the plot focuses so much around non essential moments, but every time something serious happens it skips right over it, and gives next to no details.

I rated this one 3 out of 5 stars, and you can check out my full review here.


The 13th Gift: A True Story of a Christmas Miracle by Joanne Huist Smith:



I ended up listening to this one on audiobook when I was going for long walks back in the summer and fall. While there were certain parts of it I really ended up enjoying, I didn't like that the whole thing ended up feeling extremely materialistic, which definitely wasn't what it should have been.

I ended up rating this one 3 out of 5 stars, and you can check out my full review here.

Never Miss by Melissa Koslin:



This one definitely had moments that made it a great mystery, and a really good debut novel, but I was really saddened as to why this is marketed as Christian fiction. It honestly seemed anything but, and there were so many moments that a faith element could have turned it into something truly special.

I gave this one a rating out of three out of five stars, and you can check out my full review here.

The Librarian of Saint-Malo by Mario Escobar:



I really wanted to love this one. I love World War Two Fiction, I love reading books that have been translated from the original language, and this author seems like such an amazing guy! However, I found this one was really boring, and felt implausible in certain points, and I really couldn't emphasize with the main character at all.

I rated this one 2 out of 5 stars, and you can check out my full review here.


It's Kind of a Cheesy Love Story by Lauren Morrill:



In the past, I've really enjoyed Lauren Morrill's stories, however this one was a massive fail for me. The content was atrocious, the relationship was slightly toxic, and the main character was really hard to want to sympathize with. 

I rated this one 1 out of 5 stars, and you can check out my full review here


The One You're With by Laura K Denton:



I'd heard really great things about this one before reading it, but it definitely wasn't for me. I wasn't a fan of the plot being about cheating in the first place, but I also couldn't stand how selfish and hypocritical both of the main characters act throughout the story. I felt like I was reading a book about middle schoolers rather than grown adults.

I rated this one 3 out of five stars, and you can check out my full review here


Take Me Home Tonight by Morgan Matson:



Morgan Matson used to be one of my favorites, but her recent releases are definitely not like her old stories. This particular title was one of my biggest disappointments of the year. I couldn't stand the main character. I couldn't stand the way she treats everyone around her. I couldn't stand the content. I didn't like the insta love vibes. I didn't like the way the main character's lie to their parent's, and put themselves in harms way in the process.

I only rated this one out of five stars, and you can check out my full review here


Wooing Cadie McCaffrey by Bethany Turner:



I loved some of this author's earlier books, but this one was honestly a hot mess. I have no idea why this is categorized as Christian fiction, cause the content was anything but. I was horrified by the message of the majority of this book, and certain parts felt almost blasphemous. I haven't shared my full review of this book to my blog yet, but I plan to in the very near future.

Just know that book has content issues, and that it's definitely not your typical Christian fiction contemporary.

I rated it 2 out of 5 stars, and I definitely don't recommend it.


Something From Tiffany's by Melissa Hill:



This one was actually a reread for me. I read it a few years ago, and enjoyed it. However, since changing my reading preferences, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much this time around. 

It's definitely a very worldly book, and the plot focuses heavily around cheating and the like. Not really was I want to be reading these days, and I only rated it two out of five stars.


The Healing of Natalie Curtis by Jane Kirkpatrick:



This book took me forever to finish, and brought me to the conclusion that I'm just not a fan of Jane Kirkpatrick's novels. I don't feel they should be marketed as Christian fiction, they're often extremely boring, and the main characters are typically selfish and only seem to care about themselves.

I rated this one two out of five stars, and you can check out my full review here.


We Were Kings by Court Stevens:



Lastly, we come to a title that I read only a couple of weeks ago, and will be a 2022 release. I read (and pretty much hated) The June Boys by this author in 2020, and decided to give one more of her books a try. Unfortunately, I disliked this one just as much, and have come to the conclusion that this author is just not for me. I couldn't keep the characters straight, I thought the book felt like it was missing information, the main character was not believable at 18, and there was a lot of content I could have done without, which is especially disappointing from a Christian publisher.

I rated this one two out of five stars, and you can check out my full review here


And that is all of my least favorite books I read in 2021! If any of you guys read these books, I'd love to hear what your thoughts were.

Also, leave me a comment below and tell me what your most disappointing reads this past year were.

I hope you all have a great rest of your day. Thanks so much for reading, and I'll see you all shortly for my most anticipated releases of 2022!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a