Skip to main content

First Line Friday: All's Fair in Love and Cupcakes

Happy Friday Everyone :)

I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're looking forward to the weekend.

Today I'm excited to once again be linking up with Hoarding Books for First Line Friday. First Line Friday is one of my favorite weekly memes, and it simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading.

I've had a lot of extra reading time on my hands lately because of all the social distancing, and as such, I've been able to read a lot of the titles that have been sitting on my shelves for quite some time.

Today's book is one of such titles, and I'm happy that I finally found the time to get to it as I'm really enjoying it so far.

All's Fair in Love and Cupcakes by Betsy St. Amant:



About the Book:


Kat inspected rows of the same old cupcakes. They seemed to blink back at her, as if they knew she was capable of so much more.

Kat Varland has had enough of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. At twenty-six years old, Kat is still living in the shadows of her family in Bayou Bend, Louisiana. Still working shifts at her Aunt Maggie's bakery. Still wondering what to do with her passion for baking and her business degree. And still single.

But when Lucas Brannen, Kat's best friend, signs her up for a reality TV bake-off on Cupcake Combat, everything Kat ever wanted is suddenly dangled in front of her: creative license as a baker, recognition as a visionary . . . and a job at a famous bakery in New York.

As the competition heats up, Lucas realizes he might have made a huge mistake. As much as he wants the best for Kat, the only thing he wants for himself, her, is suddenly in danger of slipping away.

The bright lights of reality cooking wars and the chance at a successful career dazzle Kat's senses and Lucas is faced with a difficult choice: help his friend achieve her dreams . . . or sabotage her chances to keep her in Louisiana.

(synopsis from goodreads)




My Thoughts:

I've enjoyed everything by this author that I'd read in the past, and I'd been wanting to get to this one for quite some time. I love that it's a best friends to more romance, and that it's another food centered story. I'm not too far into it yet, but I have a feeling that I'm really going to end up loving it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to finish it this upcoming week.


First Line:

"There was more to life than vanilla buttercream."




What book are you currently reading? Be sure and leave the first line in the comments, and then hop on over to Hoarding Books to see who else is participating this week.

I hope you have all have a great weekend, and have lots of time to dive into great books!

Thanks so much for stopping by :)


Comments

  1. Happy Friday!
    Today on my blog I'm sharing the first line from The King's Mercy by Lori Benton: https://christianfictiongirl.blog/2020/06/05/first-line-friday-139/.
    I'm currently on chapter 16 so I will share the first line from there.
    "The Joanna's loss was a blow to Severn's economy, that of her crew a sorrow, but Captain Kelly's death struck deepest."
    I hope you have a great weekend filled with relaxing reading time! 🙂❤️đź“š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday!

      The King's Mercy sounds like a really good book. I'll have to remember to check this one out.

      Thank you for sharing, and I hope you have a great rest of your weekend :)

      Delete
  2. My first line is from STORIES THAT BIND US by Susie Finkbeiner

    My Norman had never understood why I liked to hang laundry on the line when I had a perfectly good dryer inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday!

      I've been hearing really great things about The Stories That Bind Us, and I hope you end up enjoying it.

      Thanks so much for sharing, and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a cute read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday!

      It is really sweet so far. I'm not too far into it, but I've definitely enjoyed what I've read.

      Hope you have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Friday! Today, I'm sharing the first line from The House at the End of the Moor by Michelle Griep: "Death prowled the cellblock like a dark animal seeking prey -- especially the weakest."

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2020/06/first-line-fridays-house-at-end-of-moor.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday!

      I've heard really great things about this one!

      Thanks so much for sharing, and have a great rest of your weekend :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness - I'm going to add this book to my TBR list right now! I love "friends to more" and this just looks so cute! I've been reading a lot of books off my shelf, too, due to the extra stay-at-home time and it's been great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday!

      Friends to more is one of my favorite tropes too!

      It's been nice getting to read many of the titles that have been getting overlooked for the last few years on my shelf.

      I hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. Happy Friday!!
    Today on my blog I shared the first line from Misty Beller's Love's Mountain Quest. "The woman stood in the wind, skirts billowing, hair flying, as though the gusts swept away all her inhibitions." I just finished it and it was really good!
    https://www.musingsofasassybookishmama.com/2020/06/first-line-fridays-loves-mountain-quest.html


    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday!

      I haven't actually heard of this one before, but that's an amazing first line!

      Thank you for sharing, and I hope you have a lovely rest of your weekend :)

      Delete
  7. Happy Friday!
    Today on my blog I shared the first line from The Comparison Girl by Shannon Popkin but I'm currently reading The Way of Love by Tracie Peterson so I'll share the first line from my current chapter (5) here: "Mrs. Weaver joined the boardinghouse residents for breakfast the next morning." Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday!

      Both of these sounds like great choices, and I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think about them

      Thanks so much for sharing, and I hope you have a great rest of weekend :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a