Skip to main content

First Line Friday: What Momma Left Behind

Happy Friday Everyone!

I hope you all had a great week, and that you're looking forward to the weekend.

This week has definitely brought with it some blessings, as my hubby and I were able to visit his parent's for the first time this week since back at the end of February. Certain restrictions have been lifted in our province, and I was grateful for the opportunity to get to visit my in laws again.

Aside from that, I've also been reading some really amazing Christian fiction titles, and it's been a nice break away from a lot of things that have been going on.

Today I'm once again excited to be liking up with Hoarding Books for another edition of First Line Friday. First Line Friday is one of my favorite weekly memes, and it simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading.

For this week's post, I'm going to be sharing the first line from this recently released historical Christian fiction novel that I finished a couple of days ago.

What Momma Left Behind by Cindy K. Sproles:





About The Book:

Worie Dressar is 19 years old when influenza and dysentery ravage her Appalachian Mountain community in 1898, leaving behind a growing number of orphaned children with no way to care for themselves. Worie's mother has been secretly feeding a number of these little ones on Sourwood Mountain. But when she dies suddenly, Worie is left to figure out why and how she was caring for them.

Plagued with two good-for-nothing brothers--one greedy and the other a drunkard--Worie fights to save her home and the orphaned children now in her begrudging care. Along the way, she will discover the beauty of unconditional love and the power of forgiveness as she cares for all of Momma's children.

Storyteller and popular speaker Cindy K. Sproles pens a tender novel full of sacrifice, heartache, and courage in the face of overwhelming obstacles.
 






My Thoughts:

This one ended up being a little different than I was expecting, and I had trouble connecting to the main character. However, I loved the setting, a lot of the other characters, and the emphasis on family being more than just who you're blood related to. It was my first time reading a book by Cindy K. Sproles but I definitely wouldn't hesitate to pick up another one by her. 





First Line:

1877--Sourwood Mountain, Tennessee

"They was nothing I could do for her."




What book are you currently reading? Be sure and leave the first line in the comments and then hop on over to Hoarding Books to see who else is participating this week.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend and have lots of time to curl up with a great read!

Comments

  1. Happy Friday!!

    Over on my blog I shared the first line from the Mayflower Bride by Kimberly Woodhouse
    "A splinter of wood pierced Mary Elizabeth Chapman's thumb as she crept behind her lifelong friend Dorothy Raynsford."

    https://www.musingsofasassybookishmama.com/2020/06/first-line-friday-mayflower-bride.html

    I read this book last month and I had a very hard time getting into the story. I do agree I loved the setting and the author certainly did her research on the Appalachian mountain people but it was a hard read for me.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday!

      Mayflower Bride sounds lovely! I love that opening line.

      I agree that What Momma Left Behind was a hard read. It was hard for me to get into, and I found it was hard reading about some of the included content.

      Thank you for sharing, and I hope you have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  2. Happy Friday! My first line is from “Murder in the Family” by Ramona Richards:

    ” ‘Aunt Liz, you can’t keep doing this. It’s going to get you killed.’ And it had.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday!

      Oooo this line definitely has me intrigued. I'll have to check this one out.

      Thanks for sharing, and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Friday! My first line is from At Love's Command by Karen Witemeyer:
    "According to the Good Book, there was a time for war and a time for peace."
    Have a great weekend! 😃❤📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday!

      I can't wait to read At Love's Command! Everyone has had such great things to say about it.

      Thanks for sharing, and have a great weekend :)

      Delete
    2. What Momma Left Behind was a great book!

      My first line is from IF I WERE YOU. By Lynn Austin:
      Prologue. London, November, 1945
      Eve Dawson bolted upright in bed.

      Delete
    3. Happy Saturday!

      I've heard really great things about this one!

      Thanks for sharing, and have a lovely rest of your weekend :)

      Delete
  4. That cover is beautiful!!

    Today on my blog I'm sharing from Stories That Bind Us by Susie Finkbeiner. Right now I'm reading Closer Than She Knows by Kelly Irvin - here's the first line: "Six pounds of pot, a .38 Special, and a by-the-book cop."

    Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday!

      Isn't it gorgeous? The cover designer did an amazing job.

      I've been hearing great things about both of these books. Hopefully you end up loving them!

      Thanks so much. I hope you have a great weekend as well :)

      Delete
  5. I've seen What Momma Left Behind on social media a lot lately! Today, I'm sharing the first line from Coming Home to Maverick by Sophia Summers: "Maverick dipped his hat lower against the hot Texas sun. A man's hat could hide a lot of things, unfortunately, not everything."

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2020/06/first-line-fridays-coming-home-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Sunday!

      I hadn't actually heard of this one until you shared it, but I think it sounds like a lovely read, and I love that opening line!

      I hope you have a lovely rest of your weekend :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a