Skip to main content

First Line Friday: Set the Stars Alight

Happy Friday Friends :)

I pray that this week finds you all in good health, and that you've been able to have some time to spend with friends and family.

My hubby and I are currently in the process of remodeling one of the rooms in our house, and we've been spending most of our spare time working on this huge project. I'm excited to see what it's going to look like once we get it all finished.

For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with Hoarding Books for another edition of First Line Friday.

This fun, weekly blog meme simply consists of sharing the first line from the book you're currently reading.

I actually have quite a few different books on the go right now, as I have a few different review books I'm trying to get finished, and am also reading a couple off my bookshelves.

However, for today's post, I decided to go with one of the NetGalley books I'm currently reading that's going to be released in less than two weeks, and it's one that takes place in England so I thought it would be appropriate for this month's reading escapes prompt.

Set the Stars Alight by Amanda Dykes:




About the Book:

Lucy Clairmont's family treasured the magic of the past, and her childhood fascination with stories of the high seas led her to become a marine archaeologist. But when tragedy strikes, it's Dashel, an American forensic astronomer, and his knowledge of the stars that may help her unearth the truth behind the puzzle she's discovered in her family home.

Two hundred years earlier, the seeds of love are sown between a boy and a girl who spend their days playing in a secret sea cave, while the privileged young son of the estate looks on, wishing to join. As the children grow and war leads to unthinkable heartbreak, a story of love, betrayal, sacrifice, and redemption unfolds, held secret by the passage of time.

As Lucy and Dash journey to a mysterious old estate on the East Sussex coast, their search leads them to a community of souls and a long-hidden tale that may hold the answers--and the healing--they so desperately seek.





My Thoughts:


I haven't had a chance to read too far into this one yet, but I'm especially enjoying the writing style. Amanda Dykes has almost a lyrical sense of writing that wraps the reader up in the story right from the start. However, there are a lot of background details and a lot of characters introduced throughout the first few chapters, and it's taking me a little while to be able to absorb everything that's happening. I think I'm going to end up really enjoying it though.




First Line: (From the Prologue)


London, England
May 1987:

"The smell of cinders permanently etched the abandoned Bessette Match Factory into the minds of all who passed."


What book are you currently reading? Be sure and leave the first line in the comments, and then hop on over to Hoarding Books to see who else is participating this week.


Thanks so much for reading everyone! I hope you all have a great weekend filled with plenty of quality reading time. :)


***this first line comes from an advance reader copy of the novel and may not be final text.*****






Comments

  1. Happy Friday! I'm reading from an old book, and the kindle edition is free on Amazon. I have probably read it 10 times! My first line is from "Uncle Max" by Rosa Nouchette Carey:

    "It appears to me, looking back over a past experience, that certain days in one's life stand out prominently as landmarks, when we arrive at some finger-post pointing out the road that we should follow."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday Becky!

      What a beautiful first line! I can see why you enjoy this one so much.

      Thank you for sharing, and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)

      Delete
  2. This book sounds beautiful! Have a good weekend and hopefully you finish your remodel soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday Donna!

      Thank you so much!

      I hope you have a lovely weekend :)

      Delete
  3. Can’t wait for my copy of Amanda’s book to arrive!

    My first line is from A Gilded Lady by Elizabeth Camden which I finished this week.
    June 30, 1900
    There was no such thing as a typical day at the White House, but Caroline Delacroix’s morning took a particularly difficult turn the moment she walked into her crowded office,

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday!

      I've heard nothing but great things about A Gilded Lady, and wow that's definitely an intriguing first line!

      Thank you for sharing, and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Friday!!
    Over on my blog I shared one of the lines from Key to Everything by Valerie Frasier Luesse
    "Sometime during the night, it had begun to rain, a steady downpour pelting the tin roof of Aunt Gert's bungalow and lightly misting Peyton's face."
    https://www.musingsofasassybookishmama.com/2020/06/first-line-friday-key-to-everything.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday!

      Ooo I really like this line. It seems like the perfect book to curl up with on a rainy day.

      Thanks so much for sharing, and enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

      Delete
  5. I'm working on cleaning out the spare bedroom we use as an "office" (dumping ground is a better term) so we can use it as a home office since it seems I'll be working a lot from home in the foreseeable future. It's not the same as your remodeling, but I'm anxious to see what it looks like when I'm done! :)

    I’m currently reading A Bee in Her Bonnet by Jennifer Beckstrand and the first line is “Poppy Christner was screaming her lungs out.” I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday!

      Cleaning out your spare bedroom sounds like a huge undertaking as well, but I'm sure it will be worth it when it's all said and done.

      This sounds like a very interesting read, and that line definitely grabs your attention right from the start.

      Hope you have a lovely weekend :)

      Delete
  6. Happy Saturday!

    I haven't personally heard of Fair as a Star, but I loved The Killing Tide! Hopefully you end up enjoying both of these.

    Thanks so much for sharing, and I hope you have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Saturday!

    I really enjoyed The Heart of a Hero, and hopefully you will too! I absolutely love this opening line.

    Thank you for sharing, and have a great rest of your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a