Skip to main content

Break of Day by Colleen Coble Review

 Happy Monday Bookish Lovelies :)

Thank you so much for joining me (Kirby) here on The Preppy Book Princess for another book review.

In the past, Colleen Coble has always been a favorite author of mine. However, I haven't been enjoying her recent releases as much as her older books. I recently had the chance to advance read the final title in her Annie Pederson series, and I was hopeful I'd end up having a more positive experience with it.

If you would like to check out my reviews of the first two books in this series, you can do so using the links below:

Edge of Dusk

Dark of Night


Otherwise, keep on reading down below for today's full review.


Break of Day by Colleen Coble:



Source: Publisher via NetGalley

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Publication Date: July 4th, 2023

Genre: Christian Fiction/Suspense

Series: Annie Pederson


Synopsis:


Annie Pederson’s happily ever after is finally within sight . . . If she can stay alive long enough to grasp it. Law enforcement officer Annie Pederson’s life has been rocked by tragedy, but things finally seem to be heading in the right direction. Her relationship with the love of her life—who’s also the biological father of her precious daughter—has never been better, and it looks like an engagement ring is in Annie’s future. She’s also slowly building back trust with her sister, Sarah, after a separation that lasted for decades. When a man escapes law enforcement custody and Sarah’s safety is suddenly in question, Annie’s personal and professional lives once again merge. Meanwhile, her investigation of hikers who have gone missing in the remote woods of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula puts her in the crosshairs of a deadly game. Now, Annie is the one being hunted. When she discovers the terrible truth about the men who are stalking her, she realizes that she’s in for the fight of her life if she’s going to redeem the sister she once lost, build the family she dreams of, and keep all those she loves safe. Return to the beloved town of Rock Harbor in the final installment of the Annie Pederson trilogy by bestselling suspense author Colleen Coble.

(synopsis from goodreads)


My Review:

I've honestly struggled with wanting to write this review. I finished the book a couple of days ago, and I'm still at the point where I don't want to have to think about it long enough to get my thoughts out there. However, I do want to go ahead and review it while the story is still fresh in my mind, so I'm going to go ahead and do so.

I want to preface this review by stating that I've been a huge fan of Colleen Coble's books for quite sometime. I've read many of her wonderful books over the years, but the last few releases have not been ones I could find myself recommending. I was hopeful this one would end up being a more positive experience. However, that ended up not being the case, as I can wholeheartedly state that this is my least favorite of her titles ever, and I'm still worried I'm going to wake up with nightmares over how disturbing and creepy the majority of this story is.

I did enjoy that growth was shown by many of the characters, especially Annie and Jon. I particularly enjoyed Sarah, Anu, and Jon's dad throughout this title, as I loved their big hearts, and the way they were determined to make it through their tragic circumstances. The romance was sweet and didn't seem rushed, and instead moved at a believable and realistic plot. If you enjoy suspense that keeps you guessing, then you won't be disappointed on that front either, as this entire story is non stop action from the get go, with plenty of plot twists and turns to keep the reader guessing.

However, none of those factors were enough to redeem this one in my eyes. The mystery was downright disgusting, and the final reveal had me literally shuddering. After finishing this, I felt a heaviness that I've rarely ever felt with fictional titles before, and all I wanted to do was curl up with my Bible. While this one did have a lovely faith element, it wasn't enough to combat the extreme darkness that overlays the entire story.

If you're a fan of Christian suspense, this may be a title you'd enjoy. I issue the warning though that it's darker than anything I've ever read before, especially in a Christian title, and this is coming from someone who gobbles up Christian suspense as fast as I can get my hands on it.

Final Rating: 2/5.

I'm very disappointed in this series as a whole, and I'm not sure if I'll be trying anything new from this author in the future or not. 

Thanks so much to Thomas Nelson for allowing me to advance read and review this title!

I voluntarily read and reviewed a complimentary advance reader copy of this novel from the publisher (Thomas Nelson) via NetGalley. I was not required to give a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own, and this is my honest review. 

Thanks so much for reading guys! I pray you all have a great rest of your day, and if it's as hot where you're reading from as it is here, then I pray you're all staying cool. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a