Skip to main content

The Lost Girl of Astor Street by Stephanie Morrill Review

Hello Everyone :)

I hope you're all doing well, and I want to thank you all for joining me for another book review here on The Preppy Book Princess.

Can you believe today is March 1st? It feels like Christmas was just a couple of weeks ago, and now we're well on our way to spring. I also can't believe it's already been almost a year since all this lockdown stuff started, and I've been struggling a bit more lately as it just seems like there's no end in sight to it all.

However, I've been trying to spend more time with Jesus, which definitely helps, and I've also had the opportunity to read a lot of really great books.

The review I'm going to share with you all today is for a book that I actually read and wrote this review back in July, but never had the chance to post it.

Hopefully you're all having a great Monday so far, and hopefully you'll all enjoy reading this review. 

I love young adult mystery novels, and I when I heard about a fantastic sounding book by an author I'd really enjoyed a previous book from, I knew I had to go ahead and give it a shot.

The Lost Girl of Astor Street by Stephanie Morrill:




Source: Bought for Myself

Publisher: Blink

Publication Date: February 7th, 2017

Genre: Young Adult Fiction/Historical Fiction/Mystery


Synopsis:


Lydia has vanished. Lydia, who’s never broken any rules, except falling in love with the wrong boy. Lydia, who’s been Piper’s best friend since they were children. Lydia, who never even said good-bye. Convinced the police are looking in all the wrong places, eighteen-year-old Piper Sail begins her own investigation to solve the mystery of Lydia’s disappearance. With the reluctant help of a handsome young detective, Piper goes searching for answers in the dark underbelly of 1924 Chicago, determined to find Lydia at any cost. When Piper discovers those answers might stem from the corruption strangling the city—and quite possibly lead back to the doors of her affluent neighborhood—she must decide how deep she’s willing to dig, how much she should reveal, and if she’s willing to risk her life for the truth.

(synopsis from goodreads)



My Review:

I picked this one up after really enjoying another novel I'd read by this author, and being intrigued by the fact that it's a young adult historical fiction mystery. The setting of 1920's Chicago also had me intrigued, and when I saw some other reviewers compare it to both Veronica Mars and Nancy Drew, I knew that I needed to go ahead and give it a read. I was honestly expecting to enjoy this one, but I think I was ill prepared for just how amazing this story was going to end up being. Once I started it, I could barely bring myself to put it down, and I almost ended up reading the entire thing in one sitting. 

I adored Piper as a main character, and I think she's a fantastic role model for young girls picking this one up. She may not always make the safest choices, but she's determined to do whatever it takes to find her friend and bring whoever is responsible to justice. The romance had me major swooning, and I truly adored Piper and Mariano together. I appreciated the way that he wants to keep her safe, but at the same time refuses to shelter her from everything going on the way her father, brothers and best friend insist on doing.

The setting and mystery were spot on, and I actually had quite a few guesses as to which way I thought things were going to end up going. I don't think I've ever read a book before that was set in 1920's Chicago, and I ended up really enjoying all the historical details that are woven into the plot. One of my all time favorite YA historical mysteries is These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly, and this one ended up reminding me quite a bit of it for all the right reasons.

If you grew up reading Nancy Drew or the like, then you need to go ahead and pick up The Lost Girl of Astor Street. It's a really well written historical novel with the perfect amounts of mystery, intrigue and romance to keep the reader glued to the page and unable to put it down. I loved the characters, especially Piper and Mariano, and I appreciated that Piper is a strong, female heroine who cares more about her friend's well being than she does about abiding by societal norms of the time.  My only complaint with the entire story is that I thought the conclusion seemed a little abrupt, and since it doesn't seem like this is going to end up having a sequel, I wish there had been a little bit more to the ending of the book.

Overall though, I absolutely loved this one, and I give it five out of five stars.


Thanks so much for reading guys! Have a great rest of your day :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: Courting Mr. Emerson

Happy Friday Everyone :) Since it is Friday, I'll once again be participating in First Line Friday which is hosted by Hoarding Books .  For this week, I'm going to be sharing the first line from Melody Carlson's newest book, Courting Mr. Emerson. About The Book: When the fun-loving and spontaneous artist Willow West meets buttoned-up, retired English teacher George Emerson, it's not exactly love at first sight. Though she does find the obsessive-compulsive man intriguing. Making it her mission to get him to loosen up and embrace life, she embarks on what seems like a lost cause--and finds herself falling for him in the process. A confirmed bachelor, George vacillates between irritation and attraction whenever Willow is around--which to him seems like all too often. He's not interested in expanding his horizons or making new friends; it just hurts too much when you lose them. But as the summer progresses, George feels his defenses crumbling. The quest