Skip to main content

In the Shadow of the River by Ann H. Gabhart Review

 Happy Wednesday Friends :)

I pray today finds you all doing well, and I want to thank you all for joining me another book review here on The Preppy Book Princess.

If I'm being honest, this week has been a bit of a rough one so far. We've had several big, unexpected expenses fall on our doorstep, and there's been also a bit of hurtful drama that's definitely caused some stress and hurt feelings.

However, I'm so thankful for Jesus through all of these tough times, and I'm honestly not sure how people who don't know Him make it through all of life's challenges.

I'm trying my best to focus on my blessings rather than on the bad stuff, and one of those blessings is the many Christian fiction titles I get to read and review for all of you.

I recently had the chance to read a wonderful Christian historical fiction title that I can't wait to tell you all about it, and I hope you'll all keep reading down below for my full review.


In the Shadow of the River by Ann H. Gabhart:



Source: Complimentary Copy Provided by the Publisher as Part of the Revell Reads Blogger Program

Publisher: Revell

Publication Date: May 9th, 2023

Genre: Christian Fiction/Historical Fiction


Synopsis:


In 1881, Jacci Reed is only five years old when a man attempts to kidnap her from the steamboat her mother, Irena, works on. Badly wounded during the confrontation, Irena takes Jacci aboard the Kingston Floating Palace, a showboat tied up beside them. There, Jacci's actor grandfather tends to her mother and Jacci gets a first taste of the life she will come to lead.

Fifteen years later, Jacci is an actress aboard the Kingston Floating Palace, and largely contented with her adopted family of actors, singers, and dancers. Especially Gabe, who has always supported her, and the gruff grandfather she has come to know and love. Jacci's mother has been gone for years, but the memory of the altercation that ultimately took her life--and the cryptic things Jacci has overheard about her past--is always there, lurking in the back of her mind.

When someone on the showboat tries to kill Jacci, it's clear her questions demand answers. But secrets have a way of staying in the shadows, and the answers she craves will not come easily. Gabe only hopes they come in time for him and Jacci to have a future together.

(synopsis from goodreads)


My Review:

I went into In the Shadow of the River not sure what to expect, but wow did this book end up surprising me. The tumultuous events that take place right at the beginning dragged me hook, line and sinker into the story, and I could barely bring myself to want to put it down.

I've read a lot of Christian fiction titles over the years, and I've yet to read any historical title that's set on a showboat during the late 1800's. It was such an original setting for a Christian romance story, and I loved the community that comes to exist between our main character Jacci and the many lovely people that have come to call the showboat home. 

The romance was tender and sweet, and it was made more enjoyable in that it was a friends to something more romance. I enjoyed following along with it, even though it did end up playing out exactly as I suspected without much surprise along the way.

The mystery was actually a bit darker than I was initially expecting, and it had quite a few secrets wrapped up in the final reveal that I definitely found myself invested in. I'd only have to mention that I personally found one part of it was quite obvious to the reader, and I was almost disappointed when that part played out exactly as I'd initially expected.

Overall, if a clean historical romance set on a showboat during the late 1800's with plenty of suspense, swoon worthy bits, and a focus on faith, family and friendship sounds like something you'd enjoy, then you definitely want to go ahead and pick this one up.

Other than the one part of the mystery being quite obvious, my only other complaint was that I felt the synopsis gave away way too much information. I think that could have been dialed back a bit to avoid spoiling anything for any reader who chooses to pick this one up.

I loved this one overall however, and it's definitely another one of my favorite reads of the year.

Final Rating: 5/5.

Thanks so much to Revell Publishing for providing me with a complimentary copy of this title!

I voluntarily read and reviewed a complimentary copy of this novel from the publisher (Revell) as part of the Revell Reads Blogger Program. I was not required to give a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own, and this is my honest review. 

Thanks so much for reading guys! I pray the Lord works in amazing ways in your life this week, and I look forward to sharing more bookish content with you all on Friday. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: Courting Mr. Emerson

Happy Friday Everyone :) Since it is Friday, I'll once again be participating in First Line Friday which is hosted by Hoarding Books .  For this week, I'm going to be sharing the first line from Melody Carlson's newest book, Courting Mr. Emerson. About The Book: When the fun-loving and spontaneous artist Willow West meets buttoned-up, retired English teacher George Emerson, it's not exactly love at first sight. Though she does find the obsessive-compulsive man intriguing. Making it her mission to get him to loosen up and embrace life, she embarks on what seems like a lost cause--and finds herself falling for him in the process. A confirmed bachelor, George vacillates between irritation and attraction whenever Willow is around--which to him seems like all too often. He's not interested in expanding his horizons or making new friends; it just hurts too much when you lose them. But as the summer progresses, George feels his defenses crumbling. The quest