Skip to main content

Man of Shadow and Mist by Michelle Griep

 Happy Monday, and Happy May 1st all my bookish lovelies :)

Can I be honest that I'm so thankful it's finally the start of a new month.

April was a pretty brutal month for me, as I unfortunately had to deal with a lot of hurt and smallness directed towards me that had me more thankful than ever for Jesus, my amazing hubby, and the many wonderful fiction titles I got to curl up with over the span of the month.

However, it's time for a fresh start, and even though summer is not my favorite time of the year, I'm determined to try and find something to be thankful for in each and every season.

This May, I'm thankful for my growing faith, upcoming quality time with my hubby, and the many wonderful Christian fiction authors who continue to write stories that us Christian fiction readers happily gobble up.

I'm especially excited to share today's title with you all as it's truly unlike anything I'd ever read before.

I hope you'll all keep reading down below and join me for today's book review.


Man of Shadow and Mist by Michelle Griep:



Source: Publisher via NetGalley

Publisher: Barbour Fiction

Publication Date: June 1st, 2023

Genre: Christian Fiction/Historical Fiction

Series: Of Monsters and Men


Synopsis:


“The world seems full of good men—even if there are monsters in it.”
–Bram Stoker, Dracula

England, 1890

Vampires are alive and well in North Yorkshire, leastwise in the minds of the uneducated. Librarian Rosa Edwards intends to drive a stake through the heart of such superstitions. But gossip flies when the mysterious Sir James Morgan returns to his shadowy manor. The townsfolk say he is cursed.

James hates everything about England. The weather. The rumours. The scorn. Yet he must stay. His mother is dying of a disease for which he’s desperately trying to find a cure—an illness that will eventually take his own life.

When Rosa sets out to prove the dark gossip about James is wrong, she discovers more questions than answers. How can she accept what she can’t explain—especially the strong allure of the enigmatic man? James must battle a town steeped in fear as well as the unsettling attraction he feels for the no-nonsense librarian.

Can love prevail in a town filled with fear and doubt?

(synopsis from goodreads)


My Review:

I came into this one not being too familiar with Michelle Griep's writing, as I'd only read one of her titles prior, and that was several years back. However, I ended up adoring this one, and found it to be completely unlike anything I was expecting, or like I'd ever read before. I picked this one up on a day that was blistery, snowy and cold in our region, and the atmospheric, moody setting that overlays the entire story matched the weather perfectly.

A few years back when I still read quite a bit of secular fiction, I wholeheartedly enjoyed several vampire titles. It was such a sweet treat to find a "vampire" book within the Christian book world that truly isn't about "vampires" themselves. Rather, this title focuses around the superstitions and stereotypes that existed in earlier times about anyone who was different than the norm, and the many prejudices they faced on account of these differences.

I love picking up historical fiction titles period, but I especially enjoy when I learn something new from reading them. I left this book with knowledge of a disease I knew nothing about prior, and also, I loved getting to learn about the origins of libraries, and how they were often only for wealthy patrons as they were the only ones who could afford to use them.

Rosa and James were both believable and endearing main characters, and the road to their happily ever after was paved with many obstacles, including a rumor mill that's expanded upon by many of the residents of their small community with nefarious intentions.

Above all, the couple is determined to stay true to each other, and to their faith in their Heavenly Father, and that was probably my most favorite part of the story of all.

A wonderful plot, beautiful prose, likeable main characters, a spooky and atmospheric "vampire setting", a realistic faith element, and an admirable romance all worked together to make this one a winner in my eyes, and I can't recommend it enough.

I also have to quickly mention, without spoiling anything, that I adored the inclusion of Bram Stoker as a character! Such a fun surprise, and another way the author was able to add an extra element to an already wonderful story.

Final Rating: 4/5.

I'd highly recommend this one, and I can't wait to read more of this author's books in the future.

Thanks so much to Barbour for allowing me to advance read and review this one!

I voluntarily read and reviewed a complimentary advance reader copy of this novel from the publisher (Barbour) via NetGalley. I was not required to give a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own, and this is my honest review. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: Courting Mr. Emerson

Happy Friday Everyone :) Since it is Friday, I'll once again be participating in First Line Friday which is hosted by Hoarding Books .  For this week, I'm going to be sharing the first line from Melody Carlson's newest book, Courting Mr. Emerson. About The Book: When the fun-loving and spontaneous artist Willow West meets buttoned-up, retired English teacher George Emerson, it's not exactly love at first sight. Though she does find the obsessive-compulsive man intriguing. Making it her mission to get him to loosen up and embrace life, she embarks on what seems like a lost cause--and finds herself falling for him in the process. A confirmed bachelor, George vacillates between irritation and attraction whenever Willow is around--which to him seems like all too often. He's not interested in expanding his horizons or making new friends; it just hurts too much when you lose them. But as the summer progresses, George feels his defenses crumbling. The quest