Skip to main content

One Little Lie by Colleen Coble Review

Happy Monday Friends :)

It's a holiday in my province today, and my hubby and I are both lucky enough to have it off work this year. We're both looking forward to a productive day of getting a few things done around the house, and then I'm also hoping to have time to do a movie night tonight. Perhaps we may even have a chance to finally watch P.S. I Still Love You on Netflix.

If it's a holiday where you are today, what are your plans?

For today's post, I'm going to be sharing a review for an upcoming release from one of my favorite Christian suspense authors, Colleen Coble.

This one was a bit of a whirlwind for me personally, so I'm really looking forward to getting to share my thoughts about it with you all.

One Little Lie by Colleen Coble:



Source: Publisher via NetGalley

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Publication Date: March 3rd, 2020

Genre: Christian Fiction/Mystery/Thriller

Series: Pelican Harbor

Synopsis:


It started with one little lie. But Jane Hardy will do everything in her power to uncover the truth. 

Book one in a gripping new series from USA TODAY bestselling romantic suspense author Colleen Coble.

When Jane Hardy is appointed interim sheriff in Pelican Harbor, Alabama, after her father retires, there's no time for an adjustment period. He is arrested for theft and then implicated in a recent murder, and Jane quickly realizes she's facing someone out to destroy her father.

They escaped from a cult fifteen years ago, and Jane has searched relentlessly for her mother—who refused to leave—ever since. Could someone from that horrible past have found them?

Reid Bechtol is a well-known journalist who makes documentaries, and his sights are currently set on covering Jane's career. Jane has little interest in the attention, but the committee who appointed her loves the idea of the publicity.

Jane finds herself depending on Reid's calm manner as he follows her around taping his documentary, and they begin working together to clear her father. But Reid has his own secrets from the past, and the gulf between them may be impossible to cross.

It started with one little lie. But Jane Hardy will do everything in her power to uncover the truth.


(synopsis from goodreads)

My Review:

Colleen Coble has once again proven why she's one of my favorite authors in the Christian market in the explosive first title in her upcoming Pelican Harbor series. One Little Lie is an action packed adventure from start to finish, and it will leave readers on the edge of their seats as they try and piece the complex mystery together.

I wasn't sure how I was going to end up feeling about this one, as cults usually aren't something I enjoy reading about. However, I should have realized that Colleen Coble would do the topic justice, and the cult setting just added another intriguing piece to the mystery. One Little Lie focuses around Jane, a small town cop who came from a rather unusual upbringing. She's left all that in the past, and now she's the newly promoted police chief; a position that was previously held by her father. The town mayor decides she needs some good publicity, and accepts a proposal by a man named Reid to follow Jane around to film a documentary about her life. Reid and his son Will were something Jane was not prepared for, and as she struggles to piece together the murders and mayhem devastating her town, Reid and Will are right there beside her. The mystery takes a turn for the worse when her dad is arrested by the FBI for tampering with evidence, and on suspicion of murder. Jane will stop at nothing to get to the bottom of everything, but she's not sure she's prepared for the answers she's about to receive. After all one little lie can grow into a tangled web, and only the truth can ever truly set you free.

With a complex mystery that weaves and winds different directions in each and every chapter, and characters that are both well developed, and emotion inducing, One Little Lie is a truly an amazing read, and I found myself completely wrapped up in it. Colleen Coble truly is a master storyteller, and I'm always impressed that her mysteries keep me guessing right until the end. With how many novels I read on a regular basis, I quite often piece together a large part of the mystery before the final reveal, and yet that's never the case with hers, and I think that's a pretty impressive feat. I was truly shocked when everything was finally revealed, and I honestly hadn't even remotely guessed correctly as to who the true culprit was.  The characters came to feel like old friends by the end of the story, and I can't wait to continue on with the rest of the series, as I definitely need to find out what's going to happen to Jane and Reid's relationship after such an amazing cliffhanger.

Colleen Coble has once again delivered an amazing story to her loyal fans and readers, and I'm glad that more stories are on the way about Jane, Reid, Will, Charles and Olivia. I will be anxiously awaiting the release of book two in September, and I can't recommend this one enough.

Final Rating: 4/5.

Thanks so much to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for allowing me to advance read this!

I voluntarily read and review an advance reader copy of this novel. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I was not required to give a positive review. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: Courting Mr. Emerson

Happy Friday Everyone :) Since it is Friday, I'll once again be participating in First Line Friday which is hosted by Hoarding Books .  For this week, I'm going to be sharing the first line from Melody Carlson's newest book, Courting Mr. Emerson. About The Book: When the fun-loving and spontaneous artist Willow West meets buttoned-up, retired English teacher George Emerson, it's not exactly love at first sight. Though she does find the obsessive-compulsive man intriguing. Making it her mission to get him to loosen up and embrace life, she embarks on what seems like a lost cause--and finds herself falling for him in the process. A confirmed bachelor, George vacillates between irritation and attraction whenever Willow is around--which to him seems like all too often. He's not interested in expanding his horizons or making new friends; it just hurts too much when you lose them. But as the summer progresses, George feels his defenses crumbling. The quest