Skip to main content

The Last Way Home by Liz Johnson Review

 Happy Friday Friends :)

I'm so excited that it's finally September, and that fall with all it's wonderfulness is right around the corner.

Soon it will be time for cooler temps, cozy blankets, sweaters and boots, hot cups of tea, and pumpkin everything.

However, before we dive right into all the fall and Christmas reads that I can't wait to get started on, I have one last summery book review to share with you all.

Liz Johnson has been one of my favorite authors ever since I picked up my first book by her a few years back.

I'm always excited to get to read her new releases, and today I'm thankful for the opportunity to get to share my review of her most recently released title.

If you'd like to check out my review of the first title in the series, you can do so using the link below:

Beyond the Tides


Keep on reading below for today's full review.


The Last Way Home by Liz Johnson:



Source: Publisher as Part of the Revell Reads Blogger Program

Publisher: Revell

Publication Date: August 2nd, 2022

Genre: Christian Fiction/Contemporary

Series: Prince Edward Island Shores


Synopsis:

When Eli Ross left Prince Edward Island to join the NHL, he left a broken family behind. More than a decade later, he's broke and headed home to an uncertain welcome. He wants to make things right with the family he wronged, but his mom's business partner isn't making it easy. To top it off, the coaching job he's accepted turns out to be far more difficult than he anticipated.

For years, Violet Donaghy has put everything she had into making Eli's mom's ceramics shop a success, and she's not eager to forgive the man who hurt the family that's taken her in as one of their own. But when the kiln at the shop starts a fire that nearly destroys the studio, she'll need all the help she can get to save the business and their summer income.

Can these two strong-willed people come together to mend the broken pieces of the Ross family? Or will the ghosts of the past continue to haunt them?

Return to Prince Edward Island for a romantic story of family, forgiveness, and the power of love.

(synopsis from Amazon)



My Review:

The Last Way Home was one of my most anticipated releases for 2022, as Liz Johnson has quickly become an auto read author for me over the past few years. I wasn't sure I was going to end up loving it quite as much as I had some of her previous titles as I'm not usually a big fan of either sports players or artsy type main characters, but I can wholeheartedly say that Liz Johnson went ahead and proved me wrong, and delivered a wonderful, redemptive romance that had me never wanting to see it come to an end.

I will say that I personally still enjoyed the first book in this series a teeny bit more, but this one is definitely still a worthy follow up, and touched on so many heartwarming issues that made it another winner by this beloved author. Eli and Violet both have traumatic events in their past that they are trying to hide from everyone around them, but as the two of them start to form a beautiful friendship, they discover that only by bringing those events to light can God turn the broken pieces into something even more beautiful.

One of my favorite parts of picking up a book by this author is the wonderful cast of characters that grace each and every story. The Ross family quickly felt like old friends once again, and Eli's story was definitely worth waiting for. 

I appreciated the way that the faith element was woven throughout the course of the story, and it came across authentic and natural, and never felt like it was out of place or unimportant to everything else happening.

Perhaps though, my favorite part of all was the fact that some of the beloved characters from my all time favorite series by this author, Prince Edward Island Dreams, pop in for a cameo appearance. I was honestly not expecting that, and it made me so happy to get a quick glimpse into how their lives have been since their own series ended.

Final Rating: 4/5.

Liz Johnson continues to be an author I adore, and she without a doubt knows how to write wonderful contemporary romances that tug at the heartstrings, and leaves the reader anxiously awaiting the next book in the series.

Thanks so much to Revell Publishing for allowing me to read and review this one.

I voluntarily read and reviewed a complimentary copy of this novel from the publisher (Revell) as part of the Revell Reads Blogger Program. I was not required to give a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own, and this is my honest review. 

Thanks so much for reading guys! I hope you all have a great weekend :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a