Skip to main content

Harvest Moon by Denise Hunter Review

 Happy Wednesday Bookish Friends :)

I pray today finds you all doing well, and I want to thank you all for joining me for another book review here on The Preppy Book Princess.

I'm Kirby, and I'm delighted you've chosen to stop by.

Our area has been currently going through an extreme heat wave, and I have to say that I'm definitely not a fan. It makes my workplace that much warmer and busier, and when I'm not working, pretty much all I want to do is hide in my air conditioned house, and catch up on cleaning, cooking, reading and blogging.

I love getting to read books set during the fall or winter during these kind of crazy weather days, as it gives me hope that the beautiful fall season is just around the corner.

Today I'm excited to share a review with you all for an upcoming release from one of my all time favorite authors. This particular title is the final release in her most recent trilogy, and if you'd like to check out my reviews of the first two books in the series, you can do so using the links below:

Riverbend Gap

Mulberry Hollow


Keep on reading down below for today's full review.


Harvest Moon by Denise Hunter:



Source: Publisher via NetGalley

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Publication Date: September 6th, 2022

Genre: Christian Fiction/Contemporary

Series: Riverbend Romance


Synopsis:


When a tragedy leaves a divorced couple with guardianship of their friends’ little girl, Laurel and Gavin drop everything for the sake of the child. Meanwhile, a case worker begins searching for a more suitable arrangement, and the estranged couple move into their friends’ home to provide temporary care for Emma and manage the on-property apple orchard. As they work together to comfort the grieving child and manage the busy harvest, tempers flare—as does the passion they both remember so well. But will the seeds of love, still growing inside them, thrive and flourish? Or will grief and regret strangle the feelings before they can fully blossom?

(synopsis from goodreads)



My Review:

Harvest Moon is the final title in Denise Hunter's Riverbend trilogy, and I can definitely state that she saved the best for last. While both of the first titles had moments I enjoyed, I wouldn't have considered either of them new favorites. However, this final title was definitely everything I was hoping for and more, and was exactly what I was waiting for ever since Gavin's story was first hinted at in the first installment.

I'm personally a big fan of second chance romances, and this one ended up being extra special as not only is it this type of romance, but it's one step further in that the romance is between a couple that ended up divorcing years prior due to the horrific circumstance of having their toddler son pass away. This story is definitely not light hearted, and the reader is given a first hand look at grief, and the many different ways it affects everyone experiencing it. Gavin and Lauren are drawn back together by the tragic accident that takes the life of their best friends. When they are named as guardians of their little girl, neither is sure how to go about such a tricky situation, but knowing they'll both do whatever it takes to give Emma the security she needs going forward. 

Gavin has been a character I felt for right from the first title in this series, and reading more of his backstory only endeared him to me more. He has such a caring heart, and I adored reading about his initial attraction to Lauren, and the depths he goes to prove his devotion to her. He's been through so much, especially since he refused to let anyone into his hurt, and I thought his character showed such growth and maturity by the end of the story. I have to be honest that it took me longer to warm up to Lauren, as I didn't always agree with the way she handled certain situations. However, I thought the author did a fantastic job of showcasing how much her childhood had impacted her, and how those deep seated fears and insecurities that were never dealt with ended up playing a big part in each relationship she forms over the years.

Overall, this was a wonderful contemporary romance that was both heart wrenching and heartwarming, and kept me engaged right throughout. My only minor complaint was that I thought the ending all wrapped up a bit too quickly, and I wanted a bit more. All in all though, I really enjoyed it, and it's definitely my favorite of the series.

Final Rating: 4/5.

Thanks so much to Thomas Nelson for allowing me to read and review this one!

I voluntarily read and reviewed a complimentary advance reader copy of this novel from the publisher (Thomas Nelson) via NetGalley. I was not required to give a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own, and this is my honest review.

Thanks so much for reading guys! I pray you all have a wonderful rest of your day :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a