Skip to main content

Part of my World: What I've Learned from the Little Mermaid about Love, Faith and Finding my Voice by Jodi Benson with Carol Traver Review

 Happy Monday Friends :)

I pray today finds you all doing well, and I want to thank you all for joining me for another book review here on The Preppy Book Princess.

I haven't really talked too much on my blog about my not really being a Disney fan anymore, but I have to be honest that I've been very disheartened with some of the company's recent decisions, and it doesn't really seem to be a company, that as a Christian, I can find much value in anymore. 

However, when I was a big Disney fan, The Little Mermaid was pretty much always my favorite, and I loved the fact that Jodi Benson (the woman who does Ariel's voice), is a Christian, and often uses her platform from this character to share her faith.

When I heard she had a book releasing about her faith and her journey to become the voice behind such a famous character, I knew I couldn't wait to read it.

Today I'm excited to share my review of this one with you all, and I hope you'll keep reading below to find out what I ended up thinking about it.


Part of my World: What I've Learned from the Little Mermaid about Love, Faith and Finding my Voice by Jodi Benson with Carol Traver:



Source: Publisher via NetGalley

Publisher: Tyndale Momentum 

Publication Date: September 13th, 2022

Genre: Christian Non Fiction/Biography/Memoir


Synopsis:


Join Disney Legend Jodi Benson on a magical journey from a Midwestern town to the bright lights of Broadway and the recording booth where she brought one of the most beloved Disney princesses of all time to life!

A treasure trove of colorful characters and unforgettable anecdotes, Part of My World reads like a real-life fairy tale as a girl with a big voice and even bigger dreams sets out on the adventure of a lifetime. Along the way, Jodi shares lessons she's learned about faith, friendship, love, loss, taking chances, making mistakes, following God's call, and chasing your dreams. In Part of My World you'll come alongside Jodi as she
struggles to find her footing in the rehearsal halls of Manhattan;
finds (then loses, then marries) her prince charming;
makes a splash on Broadway;
gives voice to a feisty redheaded mermaid, a blonde bombshell named Barbie, and a Tony-nominated powerhouse named Polly; and
searches for her own personal happily ever after.

Written with warmth, humor, and disarming vulnerability, Part of My World is a captivating glimpse behind the curtain at the making of one of the most celebrated animated movies of all time, and a must-read for Disney fans of all ages.
 

(synopsis from goodreads)


My Review:

Jodi Benson is someone I've long admired, and I was really looking forward to hearing her tell her story, especially in regards to her faith. As a child, The Little Mermaid was my all time favorite movie, so this one was especially exciting for me, and I loved how it's full of plenty of behind the scenes looks into Jodi's early days with Disney, and how she was lead to the role of Ariel in the first place.

Many things I was expecting from this one, but certain components still ended up surprising me. I remember loving the Dance Workout with Barbie VHS from my childhood, and I was completely blown away that Jodi had been the voice of Barbie for that lesser known title.

My favorite part of the story was Jodi's faith journey, and I enjoyed reading about the many struggles she's overcome along the way, and how she's been determined to keep Jesus at the front and center of every part of her life.

While I loved this one overall, my only complaint was that certain parts of the faith element seemed to be implying almost a progressive or prosperity gospel message, and while it didn't all come across that way, certain components did. 

Overall, a wonderful memoir, and one I'd recommend to anyone who has grown up a fan of this extraordinary lady.

Final Rating: 4/5.

Thanks so much to Tyndale for allowing me to advance read and review this one!

I voluntarily read a complimentary advance reader copy of this novel from the publisher (Tyndale) via NetGalley. I was not required to give a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own, and this is my honest review. 

Thanks so much for reading guys! Have a great rest of your day :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a