Skip to main content

First Line Fridays: Castle on the Rise

Happy Friday Everyone :)


Friday means it's once again time for First Line Friday, hosted by the lovely Hoarding Books.


For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing the first line from a book that I'd had recommended to me over and over again, Castle on the Rise by Kristy Cambron, which is of course the sequel to The Lost Castle.





About The Book:

A storied castle. A band of rebels. And a nation chasing the centuries-old dream of freedom . . . What legacy will they leave behind?

When Laine Forrester travels to France to attend her longtime friend's vineyard wedding, she expects to find a bride on the brink of a fairy-tale life. But after a series of unforeseen setbacks--a devastating diagnosis, a castle restoration put on hold, and the emergence of deep-seated family dynamics that threaten to derail the new couple's fledgling marriage--it seems the storybook life Laine had imagined for her friend--and once, for herself--is suddenly crumbling before her eyes.

With hopes of resurrecting a happy ending for one of them, Laine throws support behind her friend and agrees to accompany the couple to the groom's family home in Ireland, where the merging of a mysterious inheritance, long-buried wounds, and a fractured family set out to upend the trip from the start. It's in the unlikely corners of a historic Dublin pub, and across the wide-open moors bordering Ireland's majestic Wicklow Mountains, that Laine is slowly drawn in by the land and the people, sparking hope for something she never imagined possible: the courage to heal. But with secrets of her own--and a heart afraid to trust again--Laine must determine how much she's willing to risk in mending the broken places within herself, and whether she believes that even through the depths of our pain, a beautiful story can emerge.

Set in three time-periods--the revolutionary era of the late eighteenth century, Ireland's turbulent Easter week of the 1916 Rising, and present day--Castle on the Rise weaves a story of legacy, conviction, and redemption against the backdrop of Dublin's storied streets, and the stretch of Ireland's stunning emerald shores. It raises the question: given the choice between the fairy tale or a life of truly anchored faith--which legacy would you choose?
 



My Thoughts:

I actually surprised myself and ended up enjoying this one even more than I did the first book, a feat which doesn't happen that often for me. I really felt for each of the three women featured in the story, and I found myself wrapped up in each and every story unfolding. I highly recommend this one.


First Line:


"Fairy-tale weddings never included rain on the guest list."




What book are you currently enjoying? Be sure and share the first line in the comments below, and then hop on over to Hoarding Books to see who else is participating!

Thanks so much for joining me for another round of First Line Friday! Happy weekend and happy reading!


Comments

  1. Thanks so much for sharing! These both sound like really great reads, and I love the first line of Ladies of Intrigue.

    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this one but definitely preferred the first. Excited for the next one to release!
    On my blog today I shared the first line from When You Are Near by Tracie Peterson: https://thebeccafiles.com/2019/03/22/first-line-friday-53/ but I'm now currently reading The Baggage Handler by David Rawlings so I'll share the first line from my current chapter (4) here: "David corralled his nerves and forced them into one knee, which bounced an erratic dance as he sat in the reception area of Sisyphus Financial's top floor." Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very much looking forward to the release of the third book too! I've yet to read Tracie Peterson, but I've heard such great things, and that sounds like a great start to a chapter. Thanks so much for sharing :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Friday! My first line is from “How the Light Gets In” by Jolina Petersheim:

    “The caskets were closed, of course.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very intrigued by this first line! Thanks so much for sharing :)

      Delete
  4. Today I'm sharing the first line from The Lady of Tarpon Springs by Judith Miller:

    "Zanna Krykos closed her eyes and offered a silent prayer for God's direction."

    Have a great weekend!

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2019/03/first-line-friday-lady-of-tarpon.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! What a great start to a story. Thanks so much for sharing :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Friday! I'm sharing from General Meade: A Novel of the Civil War by Robert Kofman on my blog, here's the first line from the next book I'll be starting, Beauty in Battle by Robin Patchen:

    "Darkness swallowed Harper's rental home even before Jack navigated his pickup around the corner."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this line! It really has me intrigued. I've heard so much about Beauty in Battle. Everyone really seems to be enjoying it. Thanks so much for sharing :)

      Delete
  6. That's a fun first line!

    I'm sharing the first line from The King's Mercy by Lori Benton on my blog today, and that's what I'm currently reading. It's my first Lori Benton book and I've heard great things about her writing, so I have high expectations!

    Alex MacKinnon roused to the press of wood beneath his cheek and an ominous churning in his gut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very intriguing first line! I've never read Lori Benton before either, but like you, I've heard really good things about her books. Thanks so much for sharing!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: Courting Mr. Emerson

Happy Friday Everyone :) Since it is Friday, I'll once again be participating in First Line Friday which is hosted by Hoarding Books .  For this week, I'm going to be sharing the first line from Melody Carlson's newest book, Courting Mr. Emerson. About The Book: When the fun-loving and spontaneous artist Willow West meets buttoned-up, retired English teacher George Emerson, it's not exactly love at first sight. Though she does find the obsessive-compulsive man intriguing. Making it her mission to get him to loosen up and embrace life, she embarks on what seems like a lost cause--and finds herself falling for him in the process. A confirmed bachelor, George vacillates between irritation and attraction whenever Willow is around--which to him seems like all too often. He's not interested in expanding his horizons or making new friends; it just hurts too much when you lose them. But as the summer progresses, George feels his defenses crumbling. The quest