Skip to main content

Dangerous Beauty by Melissa Koslin Review

 Happy Wednesday Everyone :)

I pray today finds you all doing well, and I want to thank you all for joining me for another book review here on The Preppy Book Princess.

How has October been going for you so far? Unfortunately, one of my favorite months has not been off to the greatest start, as a lot of things seem to have piled on top of another, but I'm keeping the faith that things will get better soon, and until then, I'm thankful for great books to cozy up with.

I recently finished a new Christian suspense release, and today I'm excited to tell you all about it.

If you're a fan of novels within this genre, then I hope you'll keep on reading down below for my full review.


Dangerous Beauty by Melissa Koslin:



Source: Complimentary Copy Provided by the Publisher as Part of the Revell Reads Blogger Program

Publisher: Revell

Publication Date: September 1st, 2022

Genre: Christian Fiction/Christian Suspense



Synopsis:


Liliana Vela hates the term victim. She's not a victim, she's a fighter. Stubborn and strong with a quiet elegance, she's determined to take back her life after escaping the clutches of human traffickers in her poor Mexican village. But she can't stay safely over the border in America--unless the man who aided in her rescue is serious about his unconventional proposal to marry her.

Meric Toledan was just stopping at a service station for a bottle of water. Assessing the situation, he steps in to rescue Liliana from traffickers. If he can keep his secrets at bay, his wealth and position afford him many resources to help her. But the mysterious buyer who funded her capture will not sit idly by while his prize is stolen from him.

Melissa Koslin throws you right into the middle of the action in this high-stakes thriller that poses the question: What is the price of freedom?

(synopsis from goodreads)


My Review:

I hadn't personally been a fan of Melissa Koslin's debut novel, Never Miss, but I was intrigued by the synopsis of this one, and wanted to give her books another try. While Dangerous Beauty didn't quite end up being what I was expecting, that ended up being a positive thing. This book had much more depth than I was expecting, and it drew me right into the intense story that focuses around trafficking, God's never ending love, and a modern arranged marriage under highly unusual circumstances.

Trafficking is not usually something I enjoy reading about. It's always heartbreaking to read stories that highlight this horrific and inhumane side of humanity, and I often find authors struggle to do justice with stories set within this setting. However, I was blown away by just how authentically Melissa Koslin managed to deliver her story both accurately and truthfully, and I was impressed with how tastefully the entire subject was handled, while not shying away from the hard hitting topic it is.

I will say however, that I did still find the suspense part of the story a bit lacking unfortunately, which was a bit of a letdown. There was such build up over the course of the story, and then the conclusion wrapped everything up super quick, and I was left with many questions that I didn't feel were properly answered.

However, even with feeling letdown with that part of the story, I still ended up really enjoying this one. Having the marriage as a marriage of convenience isn't something I see done too much anymore in contemporary Christian titles, and I loved it. Lilliana and Meric were both characters that had been through such horrific events in their pasts, and watching them have to try and let each other in while trusting God to move past all their hurts was remarkably beautiful, and I wholeheartedly loved the romance element. This couple had me rooting for them right from their first meeting, and I loved how they learned to bring out the best in each other, and trust each other no matter how everyone around them thought otherwise.

I applaud Melissa Kolsin for tackling the dark side of trafficking while intertwining it with a well rounded faith message, and using the marriage of convenience trope which made this story stand out as original and unique in the Christian suspense genre.

I enjoyed this one so much more than I did her debut release, and I hope to read more books from her in the future.

Final Rating: 4/5.

Thanks so much to Revell for allowing me to read and review this one!

I voluntarily read and reviewed a complimentary copy of this novel from the publisher (Revell) as part of the Revell Reads Blogger Program. I was not required to give a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own, and this is my honest review. 


Thanks so much for reading guys! Have a great rest of your day :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a