Skip to main content

It Came Upon a Midnight Shear by Allie Pleiter Review

 Good Morning Bookish World :)

I hope you're all doing well, and I want to thank you all for joining me here on The Preppy Book Princess.

Let me ask you, are you a fan of cozy mysteries?

I adore them (as long as they actually are cozy and clean), and I've come to have quite a few favorite series within this genre over the years.

Last year, one of my all time favorite Love Inspired authors Allie Pleiter tried her hand at a cozy mystery series for the first time, and I was lucky enough to get to be on her street team for it.

I didn't completely love the first title in the series, but the second one was a wonderful addition, and I was very much looking forward to diving into the third, especially since it's a Christmas themed mystery.

If you'd like to check out my reviews of the first two books in the series, you can do so using the links below, otherwise keep on reading for my review of the upcoming third title in the series.

On Skein of Death

Knit or Dye Trying


It Came Upon a Midnight Shear by Allie Pleiter:



Source: Complimentary Copy Provided by the Publisher and Author via NetGalley as Part of the Author's Street Team

Publisher: Berkley Books

Publication Date: November 1st, 2022

Genre: Cozy Mystery/Contemporary Mystery/Christmas Read

Series: Riverbank Knitting Mystery


Synopsis:


A murder in her yarn shop's backyard puts Libby Beckett's holiday plans on thin ice....

The holiday season looks merry and bright for Libby and her friends at Y.A.R.N. The store is expanding for a holiday boom, and she's gathered Collinstown's businesses to decorate a community Christmas tree. Dashing "Gallant Herdsman" Vincenzo Marani arrives to showcase the rare vicu�a, whose coat produces the world's most luxurious yarn. It's a perfect yuletide--until Libby's ex-husband, Sterling, turns up in town...and then turns up dead.

The murder unravels Libby's life faster than a hand-knit Christmas stocking. The luxe yarn goes missing, Sterling's domineering family comes to town, and the vicu�a attempt an escape. If Libby can't stitch up a solution to the case, she may be trading in her knitting needles for a set of handcuffs.

(synopsis from goodreads)


My Review:

It Came Upon a Midnight Shear is the third installment in Allie Pleiter's Riverbank Knitting Mystery series, and it ended up being my favorite of the three. I expected to enjoy this one, as cozy mysteries with a Christmas setting are usually my favorite, but it ended up far surpassing my expectations. 

It was wonderful to get another visit to Collinstown, and get a first hand view to how all the residents were preparing for the approaching holiday season. Of course it wouldn't be a visit to Collinstown without Libby finding herself in the midst of another murder mystery, and this time it hits even closer to home when the murder is of none other than Libby's ex-husband Sterling. I have to say that I was quite surprised that the author chose to go that direction with the murder, but it added an extra depth to the story as the reader finally gets more information on what caused their marriage to break down, and gets a first hand look at the strained relationship that exists between Libby and the rest of Sterling's family.

I loved the addition of the Vicuna and the "Gallant Herdsman", as I've never heard of this animal before, and I loved discovering the tidbits about how sought after their wool has become for knitting enthusiasts. I don't often feel like I walk away from cozy mysteries having "learned" new things, so that was a fun surprise, and definitely aided my enjoyment of an already great story. 

Overall, this was a wonderful cozy mystery with a charming setting, quirky characters, a well rounded plot, and a mystery that kept me guessing right through until the end. I found myself engaged with the story right from the get go, and I didn't want to put it down once I started. I was content with how everything wrapped up, and I hope there's going to be more to come from this series in the future. 

Definitely check this one out if you're a fan of cozy mysteries.

Final Rating: 5/5.

Thanks so much to the author and Berkley Books for allowing me to advance read and review this one!

I voluntarily read and reviewed a complimentary advance reader copy of this novel from the publisher (Berkely Books) and the author (Allie Pleiter) via NetGalley as part of her street team. I was not required to give a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own, and this is my honest review. 


Thanks so much for reading guys! Have a great rest of your day :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a