Skip to main content

Ruth's Ginger Snap Surprise by Anne Blackburn Review

 Happy Wednesday Bookish Lovelies :)

I pray today finds you all doing well, and I'm so thankful you've chosen to take the time to stop on by The Preppy Book Princess today for another book review.

I've found myself wanting to read lots of Christmas books lately, which let's be honest I pretty much am usually in the mood for these stories, but definitely even more so now that we're into the second week of November.

I've always adored Amish Fiction, so I love getting to read Christmas themed titles within this genre.

I recently stumbled upon an upcoming release that I couldn't wait to dive into, and today I can't wait to tell you guys all about it.


I hope you'll all continue reading down below where I will share today's full review.


Ruth's Ginger Snap Surprise by Anne Blackburn:



Source: Publisher via Netgalley

Publisher: Barbour Fiction

Publication Date: December 1st, 2023

Genre: Christian Fiction/Amish Fiction/Christmas Read

Series: The Heart of the Amish



Synopsis:


Ruth Defies Authority to Hold on to her Family Farm
Full of faith, hope, and romance, this new series takes you into the Heart of Amish country.
 
Ruth Helmuth has never been rude in her life; trust her to choose the bishop of her Amish community for her first time!

Ruth has worked hard to keep body and soul together since her husband, Levi’s, death. She tends her herd of goats, making her living from the milk and fiber she gets from them, all while running a farm and household by herself—and very competently, thank you! How could she imagine the bishop suggesting she should give it all up to another family, who will “make better use of the space”?

Enter widower Jonas Hershberger, owner of a pair of adorable dimples and father of a charming 4-year-old daughter. Jonas is in need of a larger place to house his growing business. Ruth’s big red barn may be just the ticket. Little Abigail is in need of a new mother. Ruth might be just the ticket there, too!

Can two independent souls learn to work together for their mutual good? And will they be willing to explore what grows between them?  Or will Ruth’s fear over her “big secret” and Jonas’s caution about allowing someone new to get close to his young daughter, kill their love before it has a chance to grow?

Luckily for both of them, God’s plan involves the stubborn pair getting a little help in the form of a wise, elderly friend; a quirky orange kitten; and a smart little girl who takes one look at Ruth and decides she would make her the perfect new mother!

(synopsis from goodreads)




My Review:

I've adored reading Amish fiction for many years, so I'm always impressed when I stumble upon a truly original story within this genre, that feels unlike anything I've ever read before. Ruth's Ginger Snap Surprise was wholesome, heartwarming, and a truly original story that kept me engaged from start to finish.

I went into this one without having read the first book in the series, but I didn't end up feeling like I missed out on anything, as each title can be read as a stand alone. Ruth is a young widow who's recently been pressured by her Bishop to give up her family farm, since he assumes it's too much work for a young woman on her own. Instead she's determined to find a way to keep the beloved family farm that's come to mean so much to her, and one of her creative ideas includes renting her barn to widower Jonas Hershberger for his basket weaving business. Only she didn't expect to see sparks starting to fly between the young widower and herself. Add into the mix that Jonas's precious daughter plays a prominent part in the story, and the title and much of the story itself focuses around the adorable kitten that Ruth is gifted by her elderly friend, and this one pretty much has the perfect combination of all of my favorite things rolled into one beautiful story.

I ended up loving this one even more than I expected to, and I enjoyed that it's set during the Christmas season. I had a hard time wanting to put this own down once I started it, and I'm hoping to read more from this author in the future.

If you love heartwarming Amish Fiction and/or sweet and clean romances, then this one might just be for you.

Final Rating: 5/5.

Thanks so much to Barbour Fiction for allowing me to advance read and review this title!

I voluntarily read and reviewed a complimentary advance reader copy of this novel from the publisher (Barbour) via NetGalley. I was not required to give a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own, and this is my honest review.


Thanks so much for reading guys! I pray you all have a great rest of your day, and I'll be sharing one more review with you all this week on Friday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a