Skip to main content

The Juliet Code by Pepper D. Basham Review

 Happy Friday Bookish Lovelies :)

I pray today finds you all doing well, and that no matter what circumstances you may be facing, that you're turning to the One who holds each of us so dearly in His loving arms.

If you're new to my blog, then welcome! I'm Kirby, and I love getting to share my love of fiction with you all, especially my love of fiction that shines a light for Jesus.

If you've been here before, then welcome back! I'm thrilled you decided to give my blog another read.

Today's review is going to be an exceptionally fun one for me to share, as it's for the third installment in one of my all time favorite series.

I stumbled upon this series kind of accidentally right before the first book was due to be released, and it instantly became a new favorite.

If you'd like to check out my reviews of the previous titles in the series, you can do so using the links below:

The Mistletoe Countess

The Cairo Curse


Otherwise, I hope you'll all keep on reading down below for today's full review.


The Juliet Code by Pepper D. Basham:



Source: Publisher via NetGalley

Publisher: Barbour Fiction

Publication Date: December 1st, 2023

Genre: Christian Fiction/Historical Fiction/Mystery

Series: Fredrick and Grace Mystery


Synopsis:


Newlyweds Lord and Lady Astley Finally Reach Their Honeymoon Destination Only to Encounter a New Mystery in Need of Solving
 
Frederick and Grace Percy finally make it to Italy to enjoy a delayed honeymoon and explore the beauties of the historic city of Venice. To their surprise, their friend, Detective Jack Miracle, is also in the city, investigating a series of art heists starting at the house of eccentric millionaire, Laraby Covington. Drawn into a world of boat races, mysterious houses, and parties of the rich and unusual in Venice, Frederick and Grace learn of the existence of the Juliet paintings, (Renaissance paintings feature Shakespeare’s tragic heroine) rumored to hold a secret code to an underground vault of similarly treasured artwork assumed lost over the centuries. As Freddie and Grace are pulled deeper into the mystery and their beloved Detective Jack disappears, can they use their wits and work as a team to find the thieves and Jack before it’s too late. 
 
The Juliet Code is a Freddie and Grace Mystery, sequel to The Mistletoe Countess and The Cairo Curse.

(synopsis from goodreads)



My Review:

In the past two years it's become quite evident that Pepper D. Basham has firmly established a place for herself on my all time favorite list of authors. I truly think she dominates every single genre she chooses to write within, and at this point, I just might read her grocery list if she so chose to publish it.

I wholeheartedly adored The Mistletoe Countess, and I was thrilled when I heard she was going to turn it into a continuing series. The follow up, The Cairo Curse, was every bit as phenomenal as the first, and I've been waiting for book three ever since. I'm not sure a book has ever been built up so much in my mind before, and yet this extremely talented lady managed to make it even more than I ever could have expected or hoped for. The Juliet Code is without a doubt one of the best books I've read in 2023, and I can't possibly recommend it enough.

Fredrick and Grace have become quite the sleuthing team, and in the midst of their honeymoon, Detective Jack hires them for their first "official" case. While in Italy, famed paintings are going missing, and the thefts seem to be connected to nefarious deeds that have Fredrick concerned for his beautiful wife's safety amidst all the details. Grace is determined to get to the bottom of what's going on, and the reader gets to follow the dynamic duo on a whirlwind mystery that's tied up in history, greed and a decades old unsolved mystery.

With a continuing swoon worthy romance, a hilarious and witty storyline that's fast moving and always engaging, and a mystery that will keep every reader on the edge of their seat guessing, this is truly one of those rare books that I think could appeal to almost every single type of reader. Fredrick and Grace are truly both a hoot and a delight, and I always look forward to their hilarious interactions, and their big hearts for Jesus. Alongside the classic characters, a few new ones are introduced throughout the story, and it was a special treat trying to figure out who the dastardly villains were among the bunch.

I don't think I've enjoyed a book this much since Pepper's last release, and I hope she has many more stories to come for her reader's in the future. I love how the faith element is at the front and center throughout the entirety of her stories, and I couldn't have loved this more. 

Final Rating: 5/5.

Definitely go ahead and pick this one up! I can guarantee you won't be disappointed. 

Thanks so much to Barbour Fiction for allowing me to advance read and review this title!

I voluntarily read and reviewed a complimentary advance reader copy of this novel from the publisher (Barbour Fiction) via Netgalley. I was not required to give a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own, and this is my honest review. 

Thanks so much for taking the time to join me on this beautiful Friday morning! I pray you all have a wonderful weekend :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a