Skip to main content

Newbury Acres by Sarah Price Review

 Hello Everyone :)

I pray today finds you all doing well, and I want to thank you all for joining me for another book review here on The Preppy Book Princess.

I personally adore Jane Austen, and I love Amish fiction, so I've been loving the Amish Classics series where author Sarah Price has written a retelling of each of Jane Austen's beloved novels set within the Amish community.

I recently had a chance to read the final title in the series, and today I can't wait to tell you all what I ended up thinking about it.

If you'd like to check out my reviews of some of the other books in the series, you can do so using the links below:

First Impressions

The Matchmaker

Second Chances

Sense and Sensibility

Mount Hope


Otherwise, keep on reading down below for today's full review.


Newbury Acres by Sarah Price:




Source: Library

Publisher: Price Publishing LLC

Publication Date: March 21st, 2017

Genre: Amish Fiction/Christian Fiction/Retelling

Series: Amish Classics


Synopsis:

In Newbury Acres, a young Amish woman is invited to vacation with her neighbors at the sleepy vacation town of Banthe near Lake Moreland for several weeks. Catherine loves to read Amish romance novels and daydreams of one day living such a romance. At Banthe, she makes new friends but quickly learns that some people are not what they seem and occasionally have hidden agendas. To make matters worse, she finds herself daydreaming about Henry Tillman while thwarting the romantic advances from John Troyer. Catherine's naiveté gets her into all sorts of trouble, especially when she continues her vacation with the Tilmans at their large farm in Newbury Acres.

Will the end of her vacation translate to the end of any possible romance with Henry Tilman? Or will she finally find that storybook ending that she so longed to live?

Newbury Acres is both a satirical parody of Amish romance novels and the story of a young Amish girl's maturation into womanhood.

(synopsis from goodreads)


My Review:

As someone who is a big fan of both Jane Austen and Amish fiction, I've been loving this fun series by Sarah Price. Since Northanger Abbey is one of my all time favorite Austen novels, I'd been especially looking forward to reading this one. I have to say that while I think this particular novel was a little harder to adapt into an Amish setting, the author did a wonderful job, and I wholeheartedly enjoyed it.

Catherine was a lovely protagonist, and I had a good chuckle about her love for gothic romance novels being retold as a love for Amish romance novels. She was both sweet and imaginative, and I enjoyed following along on her journey. It was instantly recognizable who each character was based on, and I enjoyed Catherine's family, the Andersons, and especially Henry and Ellie.

Ida Mae and John were as equally insufferable in this one as they are in the original story, and were definitely their typical self serving selves. It was interesting how well this was related into the Amish community setting, and I thought it was actually one of the most well done aspects of the story.

I applaud this author for ingenuity and originality within this genre, and this story was definitely a wonderful treat. It was such a fun experience to get to see one of my favorite literature couples retold in an Amish romance, and I definitely enjoyed it.

Final Rating: 4/5.

Definitely check this one out if you're a fan of Jane Austen and/or Amish fiction.


Thanks so much for reading guys! Have a great rest of your day :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a