Skip to main content

The Fifth Avenue Story Society by Rachel Hauck Review

Happy Monday Everyone :)


I hope you're all doing well, and I want to thank you all for joining me for another book review here on The Preppy Book Princess.


About two weeks ago, I had my first one star read of the year. I was pretty disappointed that it happened so early into the new year. However, I followed that one star read with three five star reads, and that definitely made up for it. One of those five star reads I shared a review with you all for last week, and today I'd like to share a review of another one. 

This title releases pretty soon, and I can't wait for you all to get the opportunity to read it.

The Fifth Avenue Story Society by Rachel Hauck:



Source: Publisher Via NetGalley

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Publication Date: February 4th, 2020

Genre: Christian Fiction/Women's Fiction


Synopsis:


An invitation to join The Fifth Avenue Story Society gives five New York strangers a chance to rewrite their own stories.

Executive assistant Lexa is eager for a much-deserved promotion, but her boss is determined to keep her underemployed.

Literature professor Jett is dealing with a broken heart, as well as a nagging suspicion his literary idol, Gordon Phipps Roth, might be a fraud.

Uber driver Chuck just wants a second chance with his kids.

Aging widower Ed is eager to write the true story of his incredible marriage.

Coral, queen of the cosmetics industry, has broken her engagement and is on the verge of losing her great grandmother’s multimillion-dollar empire.

When all five New Yorkers receive an anonymous, mysterious invitation to the Fifth Avenue Story Society, they suspect they’re victims of a practical joke. No one knows who sent the invitations or why. No one has heard of the literary society. And no one is prepared to bear their deepest secrets to a roomful of strangers.

Yet curiosity and loneliness bring them back week after week to the old library. And it’s there they discover the stories of their hearts, and the kind of friendship and love that heals their souls. 


(synopsis from goodreads)



My Review:

For as long as I can remember, I've adored books that are set in bookstores or libraries. Since Rachel Hauck is one of my favorite authors, I was really looking forward to seeing what beautiful story would emerge from one of my favorite settings. I should probably be embarrassed to admit that I almost finished this entire novel in one sitting. I'm not, however, as the story was honestly that good.

At its center, The Fifth Avenue Story Society is about a mysterious invitation that brings together five strangers to meet weekly in a beloved historic library. Although strangers is perhaps not the best term since two members were married and are now divorced, Jett and Lexa, and Jett and another member, Chuck, met awkwardly in a brief encounter that ended with them spending a night together in jail. The group is rounded out by a New York high society heiress named Coral, and an adorable elderly gentlemen named Ed.

What starts as an unlikely grouping, soon becomes a weekly highlight for each member in their own ways. The society is the beginning of a beautiful friendship, and Rachel Hauck's enchanting way with words makes the reader feel like they are right their with the story members. As the group grows closer, the reader realizes that each member is holding onto secrets and past hurts, and through these friendships they begin to find the healing they've so desperately been needing.

I can say without a doubt that is my favorite Rachel Hauck novel yet, and I came to care about each and every character by the end of the story. The Fifth Avenue Story Society is raw, real, emotional, and captivating, and it emphasizes the idea that there's a story inside each and every one of us. Whether that story is brought to the light depends upon us having the courage to tell it, and to trust His master plan over every single part of it.

I wholeheartedly recommend this one, and I have a feeling it's going to end up being one of my favorite reads of the year.

Final Rating: 5/5.

Thanks so much to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for allowing for me to advance read this!

 I voluntarily read and reviewed an advance reader copy of this novel that was provided by the publisher (Thomas Nelson) via NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I was not required to give a positive review. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a