Skip to main content

First Line Friday: Dancing With Fireflies

Happy Friday Everyone :)

I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're all looking forward to the weekend.


For today's post, I'm once again excited to be linking up with Hoarding Books for another edition of First Line Friday.

First Line Friday simply consists of sharing the first line from the book you're currently reading. 

During all these days of social distancing, I've been reading through a lot of the books that had been sitting on my bookshelves for far too long. One of these books ended up being the first title in Denise Hunter's Chapel Springs series, and since I enjoyed it so much, I ended up going ahead and purchasing the second book in the series. My first line today comes from the second book, which I recently finished.

Dancing With Fireflies by Denise Hunter:




About the Book:

Jade returns home to Chapel Springs after years of protecting her fragile heart. Then along comes Daniel, making her long to dance again.

Creative and complicated, Jade McKinley felt like a weed in a rose garden growing up in Chapel Springs. When she left, she thought she'd never look back. But now, pregnant, alone, and broke, she has no other choice but to return.

The mayor of Chapel Springs, Daniel Dawson, has been an honorary member of the McKinley family for years. While his own home life was almost non-existent, Daniel fit right into the boisterous McKinley family. He's loved Jade for years, but she always saw him as a big brother. Now that she's back, his feelings are stronger than ever.

As Jade attempts to settle in, nothing feels right. God seems far away, she's hiding secrets from her family, and she's strangely attracted to the man who's always called her "squirt." Finding her way home may prove more difficult than she imagined.

(synopsis from goodreads)




My Thoughts:

I didn't end up loving this one quite as much as I did the first book, but I still thought it was a pretty great story. Jade and Daniel's relationship was definitely not conventional, and I enjoyed reading about everything they have to overcome to finally be together. My favorite part was probably how the title tied in the story; it was such a beautiful component of it.





First Line (from the prologue):


"Jade McKinley lowered the stove to medium and returned the chicken breasts to the pan." 




What book are you currently reading? Be sure and leave the first line in the comments, and then hop on over to Hoarding Books to see who else is participating this week. 


I hope you all have a great weekend with lots of quality reading time. 



Comments

  1. Happy Friday!
    Today on my blog I'm sharing the first line from Love and a Little White Lie by Tammy L. Gray: https://christianfictiongirl.blog/2020/07/17/first-line-friday-144/. It's a really fun read. I'm currently on chapter 12, so I'll share from there.
    "By the time Saturday rolls around, I'm convinced that Father Time has a master's degree in torture."
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend filled with relaxing reading time. 😀❤📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday! I'm currently reading Love and a Little White Lie as well, so I'm glad to hear you're really enjoying it!

      Thanks for sharing, and I hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

      Delete
  2. Set The Stars Alight by Amanda Dykes
    Candlewick Commons London, England. 2000
    To step inside the watchmaker’s cottage was to step outside of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday!

      I really enjoyed Set the Stars Alight and I hope you end up enjoying it as well.

      Thanks so much for sharing, and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Friday!!
    Over on my blog my first line is from A Bride's Journey to Colorado Territory by Diana Lesire Brandmeyer.
    "I said you need to stay away from him, Sister"
    https://www.musingsofasassybookishmama.com/2020/07/first-line-fridays-brides-journey-to.html

    Have an amazing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday!

      I love this line! How hilarious, and it definitely has me intrigued to find out what happens next.

      Thanks for sharing, and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Friday! My first line is from “A Heart Renewed” by author Kimberly Rae Jordan:

    “Carter Ward stared at the woman in front of him, a sick feeling in his stomach.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday!

      Kimberly Rae Jordan is such a fantastic author! I haven't personally read this one yet, but that's a very intriguing first line.

      I hope you have a wonderful rest of your weekend :)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you at least still enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Sunday!

      Thank you so much. I did still really enjoy it, I just loved the first one a little bit more.

      I hope you have a great rest of your day :)

      Delete
  6. My current read is Practically Married by Karin Beery. I'm just starting the second chapter, so I will share the first line of that chapter. "The sharp edge of reality sliced through Russ' heart." May you have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Wednesday :)

      I haven't personally heard of this one, but I love that line!

      Thank you so much for sharing, and I hope you have a blessed week as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a