Skip to main content

The Socialite by J'nell Ciesielski Review

Happy Wednesday Friends :)

There's a lot of unease and concern over the current state of the uncertain times our world is currently finding itself in. I pray that wherever you're reading from today, that you're staying safe and healthy, and choosing to stay home as much as humanly possible to do so.

I've going to be off work for at least a couple of weeks, so I will only be leaving my house if I absolutely need necessities, and have no choice but to run out to the store for a few things.

I'm planning on catching up with the pile of ARC's that was building up quickly while I've been so busy with work, and I'm hoping to have some time to try some more creative things with my blog and other social medias. I've also already been trying some new recipes for cooking and baking things, and I hope to continue that as well.

Today I'd like to share with you all a review of an upcoming April book release.

The Socialite by J'nell Ciesielski:




Source: Publisher via NetGalley

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Publication Date: April 14th, 2020

Genre: Women's Fiction


Synopsis:

Glamour, treachery, and espionage collide when an English socialite rushes to save her sister from the Nazis.

As the daughter of Sir Alfred Whitford, Kat has a certain set of responsibilities. But chasing her wayward sister, Ellie, to Nazi-occupied Paris was never supposed to be one of them. Now accustomed to the luxurious lifestyle that her Nazi boyfriend provides, Ellie has no intention of going back to the shackled life their parents dictate for them—but Kat will stop at nothing to bring her sister home.

Arrested for simply trying to defend himself against a drunken bully, Barrett Anderson is given the option of going to jail or serving out his sentence by training Resistance fighters in Paris. A bar owner serves as the perfect disguise to entertain Nazis at night while training fighters right below their jackboots during the day. Being assigned to watch over two English debutantes is the last thing he needs, but a payout from their father is too tempting to resist. Can Barrett and Kat trust each other long enough to survive, or will their hearts prove more traitorous than the dangers waiting around the corner?
 


(synopsis from goodreads)


My Review:

With a setting of Nazi occupied France during World War Two, a plot that focuses around two English socialite sisters that find themselves caught in the snares of a Nazi officer, and a dangerous plan involving the Secret Intelligence Service to infiltrate Hitler's closest circle, The Socialite is a read that will surely delight many readers who choose to pick it up. I honestly expected one of those readers to be me. World War Two is usually one of my favorite time periods of historical fiction, and I loved the premise of this one being about a courageous young woman who ends up helping the SIS with their dangerous missions in France. Unfortunately, this one didn't end up being anything like what I was expecting, and it's one review book that I came very close to not finishing.

You can tell throughout the story that the author researched every single historical point mentioned throughout the story, and it never comes across as inauthentic or misrepresented. I thought it felt like it was being told by an authentic voice, and the setting does make the reader feel like they're right there with Kat and Barrett experiencing all the horrors that followed anywhere the Nazi's occupied during this horrific time in our world's history. It was also an interesting approach for a novel set during this time period in the fact that it's set from an insider's perspective as Kat and her sister Ellie find themselves welcomed into a Nazi circle, and see a very different side to what life what like during this time.

Unfortunately, this book just didn't end up working for me. I found the story was extremely slow moving, and the plot quickly became muddled. I grew bored with this one quickly, and it ended up taking me a week and a half to finish it, which is almost unheard of for me. I couldn't ever get into the story, and by the end I was just forcing myself to finish it so I could see how it all wrapped up. While I enjoyed the setting and the unique take on the World War Two time period, certain parts of it ended up seeming unrealistic. I found it kind of hard to believe that Kat and Barrett kept having conversations about their plans involving the SIS or performing actions in favor of such, all while right under the Nazi's noses. It didn't seem like something an organization would truly have done since they really made no efforts to cover their tracks during any of these conversations.

I expected to really enjoy the romance, since I did find myself amused by Kat and Barrett's first meeting. However, it ended up feeling rushed and not fully developed to me, and as such, I wasn't truly invested in whether these characters ever ended up together or not. I can't conclude this review without mentioning the fact that this is another title put out by a Christian publisher that really reads entirely like a secular story. There's next to no faith or spiritual content, and that's a fact I personally found really disappointing.

While World War Two is usually one of my fave time periods in historical fiction, this one ended up being a disappointment for me. It heavily reminded me of The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, and that's another book that I ended up really not enjoying. I'm sure this particular story will appeal to a wide variety of readers, but for me personally it wasn't a favorite and I've definitely read much better historical fiction set during this period.

Final Rating: 2/5

Thanks so much to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for allowing me to advance read this!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advance reader copy of this novel from the publisher (Thomas Nelson) via NetGalley. I was not required to give a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Line Friday: Carolina Breeze

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week! Mine has actually been pretty good. We've had some really nice days, and my husband and I were finally able to put our garden in, and various flowers and the like. We've also had a couple of lovely, rainy days as well, and I love how green everything is looking in our yard right now. For today's post, I'm excited to once again be linking up with the lovely Hoarding Books  for another edition of First Line Friday. This fun weekly meme simply consists of sharing the first line of the book you're currently reading. For this week's first line, I'm going to be sharing from Denise Hunter's recently released title that I ended up absolutely loving. Carolina Breeze by Denise Hunter: About The Book: A jilted bride. A struggling innkeeper. And a romantic mountain getaway that changes everything. Rising Hollywood star Mia Emerson is looking for a safe place to land in the wake of a public breakup a

First Line Friday: Just As I Am

Happy Friday Everyone :) I hope you're all having a great week, and looking forward to the weekend. Since it is Friday, it's time once again for First Line Friday, which is hosted over at Hoarding Books. For today's first line, I'm going to be featuring a recent debut novel that I had the opportunity to read and review. About The Book: Adeline Rhodes has spent years locked away in a New Orleans apartment controlled by her criminal boyfriend. After a daring escape, she realizes just how far she has grown from the things in which she once believed. Declan King has lived a life of solitude and duty for the U.S. Army. When the deaths of his grandparents bring him home to his family farm, he is forced into contact with people who know too much about his past to simply leave him alone. When Adeline’s past catches up to her, the two strangers find themselves thrust into a fake relationship to protect Adeline from her vengeful ex. As their chance meeting begin

First Line Friday: All The Stars

Hello Everyone :) I hope you've all had a great week, and that you're currently enjoying a wonderful book for this weekend. For today's edition of First Line Friday, which is hosted by the lovely ladies over at Hoarding Books , I'm excited to share the first line from an upcoming release by one of my favorite authors. All The Stars by Mandi Blake: About The Book: Gaining her trust won’t be easy. Earning her love will be nearly impossible. Leah Manning is working to get back on her feet after her ex-husband disappeared one night, leaving her to raise their infant daughter alone. When a trip to a hardware store has her literally falling into the arms of its handsome owner, his charms are hard to resist. But he’s a stranger, and, to her, that means he can’t be trusted. Can she learn to let her faith be stronger than her fear? Brian Matthews has never met a stranger. A friend to everyone he meets, he can’t understand why Leah is determined to keep him at a